Recently dented my 24-70 filter ring, worth fixing?

Edheng23

Aug 14, 2014
Singapore
Hi guys,

recently i bumped my bag onto the side of a table and when I got home, to my horror there was a crack at the side of the filter ring of my 24-70, immediately I went to test the lens and thankfully it still works, the autofocus is fine and the photos are still sharp. I then tried to thread on a filter and it still screws in normally so to all intents and purposes, it's still a lens that has no issues (aside from the MASSIVE crack at the side)

My question is, is it worth fixing? Seems to me like it isn't but it is asthetically quite displeasing to look at!

Thanks in advance for any advice that you guys may give me!

Attachments

• 174092560_284856909900840_1405976817744751785_n.jpg
    174092560_284856909900840_1405976817744751785_n.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 81
Can you still put in the hood?

Lol use the hood then you wont see the crack liao. If you want to fix, it will probably cost more than a couple of hundred dollars.

Agree, repairing it might mean dismantling the front barrel, removing the lens elements and re-calibrating it after that.

If it's really an eyesore and you don't wish to mount the hood full time, spending a lot of money on the rear might be your only option.

Few years back, my 16-35 drops as I was helping someone to take photo and never notice that it's out of the CG even on tripod. I send for repair as the threads is out. Use till now, still ok, if not heart pain.

Another way to get an answer to that question, is to make an enquiry at Canon Service Centre in Singapore.
They may quote you a sum. It may be low. It may be high.
Recently Canon has gone full tilt into the new RF mount.
It seems Canon has stopped or decreased production of EF lenses.
Thus the answer from Canon may be:
Sorry, no spare parts. Unable to replace that part of your lens.
or
If you wish to repair, better do it now or else in future, no more spare parts.
Thus you can get a firm idea of the situation.