Olympus Lens Repair

yellowxyz

Apr 29, 2015
Singapore
Hi all,

Would like to check if anyone has ever sent their Olympus lenses for repair before? And how much does it roughly costs?

It turns out that my Olympus 14-42mm f3.5 - 5.6 lens has something trapped inside that's causing a certain 'stain' in my pictures.

Also, would getting a Olympus eclub member be worth it to offset the repair costs?

Thank you so much in advance! :)

To answer your questions in order.

Yes, depends on the problem. No cause it only discounts certain problems and it's most likely cheaper if you just buy a new 14-42 or even upgrade to a 12-50

Welcome,
It would help very much if you could identify which camera or lens. The kit lens have a few versions, the older 1st generation or the R2 which is bigger and optically sharper and the compact EZ power zoom.When you say "stain" by that I take it to mean you see it in photos or editing ?

You can do a number of things to verify exactly where the problem is.

1. Like using/borrow another lens to test.

2. Or does it only appear in LCD or viewfinder which is not a critcal issue and can ignore for the time being.

3. Or in the image sensor which you can go to the camera menu to select "clean" option.This actually
shakes off dust particles.Or if there is a oil stain /fingerprint then perhaps a visit to olympus service center is required.

4. If stain/fingerprint is on external surface of lens, the outside/front and back surface which also can visit service center or clean yourself with cotton bud dabbed with alcohol/IPA available from Watsons.

5. If really sensor another option is to block off/selective "quarantine" image pixels using option in menu for image sensor.

Hope this helps Cheers.

Thank you so much for both of your replies! :)

To update, I went down to the shop earlier today to find out what's wrong - apparently there was a strand of hair stuck inside the lens (which is crazy cause I've been using it perfectly well for 2 years but this strand suddenly appeared to ruin all my photos and there was no way the strand of hair could get into the lens lol). Thank goodness they helped me to take it out for free! :)

But thanks for the tips again! I will take note in case this happens again (touch wood, hopefully I never have to use it)...