Nikon D40 or olympus E500

Status
Not open for further replies.

yvelau

May 2, 2007
I am considering buting an Olympus E500 dual lens kit at $800
...or a D40 basic kit at $850.

love D40..because alot of positive comment but only comes with 55mm lens.
E500 is alot cheaper. lens covered till 150mm...but seems to have problem with noise and low light auto focus.

pls help!

go for nikon :)

BTW, where did you get the 850 quote for D40? That's pretty cheap.

I am considering buting an Olympus E500 dual lens kit at $800
...or a D40 basic kit at $850.

love D40..because alot of positive comment but only comes with 55mm lens.
E500 is alot cheaper. lens covered till 150mm...but seems to have problem with noise and low light auto focus.

pls help!

If you always use ISO1600 and you shoot mostly indoors then go for D40.
Auto focus depends also in the lens.

But if you are after the overall color and picture quality... then its definitely E500 ;)

:) i guess i've been describing how decent the d40's noise processing/reduction is but 've not uploaded any samples for people to take a look at.

as attached are a couple of samples shot outdoors at iso 1600 on the d40 at full resolution, straight from the camera.

http://i13.tinypic.com/525oirr.jpg
http://i19.tinypic.com/662xieu.jpg

350D is pretty reasonable too. Dont flame me, im a nikon user.

go for nikon :)

BTW, where did you get the 850 quote for D40? That's pretty cheap.

AP (S) selling D40 kit with 2 GB SD card for $850 incl GST.

if you want a good, lightweight and small camera, and you don't have any investment in equipment of any particular system, i'd suggest the Olympus E410.

olympus-e410_6A.jpg

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/olympus_e410/review.html

please note that the D40 can only auto focus with AF-S lenses, and these are generally more expensive. so even though you spend peanuts on the D40, you'll eventually have to spend much more when you expand your system. unless you change camera bodies lah. :)

if you want a good, lightweight and small camera, and you don't have any investment in equipment of any particular system, i'd suggest the Olympus E410.

olympus-e410_6A.jpg

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/olympus_e410/review.html

please note that the D40 can only auto focus with AF-S lenses, and these are generally more expensive. so even though you spend peanuts on the D40, you'll eventually have to spend much more when you expand your system. unless you change camera bodies lah. :)

If you want to talk long term, then the four-thirds system also has a major disadvantage - no bigger sensor.

See, the whole lens system is built around that four-third sensor. If Oly decides to come up with a APS-C/APS-H/FF sensor, there goes your lens system. Either you stick with your current body and lens inventory, or you upgrade lenses and the body at a go. Limitations, limitations.

Oh, I must say. The E410 is amazingly small. Played with it the other day. Quite a fun camera to use, and definitely a nice, pleasant package to bring around.

I hope this wont go to another camera brand fight.

Thank u all for the inputs..
..$850 for D40 was from Lords at Lucky Plaza.
But they offer only 1G.
May i know whr is this AP(S) that offers 2G at same price.

thanks

Between the 2 cams, I think E500 is a better buy as the Olympus kit lens are known to be better.

However, if you are going to pursue photography more seriously in the future, then you need to look which brand system you like/prefer.

If you want to compare limitations alone,

Oly - 4:3rds sys, only can use lens for 4:3rds sys.

D40 - no internal focusing motor, can only autofocus using Nikon AF-S, AF-I and Sigma HSM lens.

BUT, the key word is "autofocus". The D40 can still use ANY lens with Nikon mount, just that you manual focus.

Also, when you manual focus, there is a "in focus" guide light in the viewfinder, telling you that your composition is in focus.

So between your two choices, go for the D40.

But they offer only 1G.

thanks

Doesn't really matter. The price difference between the 2G and 1G SD cards is like.. 10 bucks. (2gig SDs are like 20+ dollars in some SL shops)

If you want to talk long term, then the four-thirds system also has a major disadvantage - no bigger sensor.

See, the whole lens system is built around that four-third sensor. If Oly decides to come up with a APS-C/APS-H/FF sensor, there goes your lens system. Either you stick with your current body and lens inventory, or you upgrade lenses and the body at a go. Limitations, limitations.

Oh, I must say. The E410 is amazingly small. Played with it the other day. Quite a fun camera to use, and definitely a nice, pleasant package to bring around.

Dude, if you buy DX/DG/DC/DI lenses for your Nikon now, you'll have to get rid of them if the sensor gets larger than APS-C size anyway.

But they offer only 1G.

thanks

Alan Photo - Sim Lim Square.

Dude, if you buy DX/DG/DC/DI lenses for your Nikon now, you'll have to get rid of them if the sensor gets larger than APS-C size anyway.

Well, at least it's restricted to a certain group. You'll have to get rid of ALL your Zuikos, should Oly come up with a larger sensor.

So the smart thing to do is to buy canon and only buy EF lenses!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.