Nikon closure ?

This act immediately cut the cost of rental and operation costs of the Nikon HQ premises. This is a huge saving.
It means staff in Nikon Malaysia will be retrenched. Cutting a huge manpower cost.
It means Japanese expats posted to Nikon Malaysia will be reposted elsewhere. Maybe to Thailand.

But in the long term Nikon will survive.
The user base of Nikon is big.

Take note that this move may be a reflection on Malaysia; rather than on Nikon.
Likewise Sony had pulled out of Brazil entirely.

Last edited:
Reactions: ortega
This act immediately cut the cost of rental and operation costs of the Nikon HQ premises. This is a huge saving.
It means staff in Nikon Malaysia will be retrenched. Cutting a huge manpower cost.
It means Japanese expats posted to Nikon Malaysia will be reposted elsewhere. Maybe to Thailand.

But in the long term Nikon will survive.
The user base of Nikon is big.

Take note that this move may be a reflection on Malaysia; rather than on Nikon.
Likewise Sony had pulled out of Brazil entirely.

Nope.
Nikon pulled out of Indonesia too last month.
The company is in trouble.
I expect imminent bankruptcy.

I guess a bit differently.
Somehow Nikon did not pull out of Thailand, USA and Singapore.

Nikon was able to lay off 500 staff in Thailand and 200 staff in Laos.
Nikon was able to cut costs and respond to the Covid-19 effect on sales, because the system in those countries allowed for it to happen.

There may be a problem in certain countries.
If you are an employer, particularly in 2 other countries, it is very difficult to dismiss workers as counter measures to Covid19 induced loss of sales.

Especially if their unions play the race & religion card.

The only way is to close down ALL operations.
That is, all right - this is what you want - then everybody loses.

Last edited:
I guess a bit differently.
Somehow Nikon did not pull out of Thailand, USA and Singapore.

Nikon was able to lay off 500 staff in Thailand and 200 staff in Laos.
Nikon was able to cut costs and respond to the Covid-19 effect on sales, because the system in those countries allowed for it to happen.

There may be a problem in certain countries.
If you are an employer, particularly in 2 other countries, it is very difficult to dismiss workers who are lazy and troublemakers.

Especially if their unions play the race & religion card.

The only way is to close down ALL operations.
That is, all right - this is what you want - then everybody loses.
Not wise to stereotype work ethics based on race.
Most camera industry workers in Malaysia are Chinese.
Nikon has crap financials.
The Z7ii and Z6ii are lukewarm updates.
Hey, there isn’t even a thread here for them...

Reactions: An drew
So, if i’m gonna bail out of the Nikon ecosystem, which brand should I seriously consider if I want to leverage my Nikon lens set and move into FF mirrorless?

Relax, Nikon aren’t going anywhere.
Despite the internet hyperbole, Nikon’s financials are fine. They’re still holding more than ¥300 billion in cash.

Get the info directly rather than just what’s parroted from websites that are after clicks.

If you want to read a real investor analysis, try this one:

It’s largely growing pains of transitioning to a new system, with the added pressure of doing it during a pandemic. And Nikon are one of the few companies that actually posts their full financials rather than hide it within larger groups (*cough Sony cameras). They’re projected to return back to profit next year whilst this year’s losses, though included some real dollar loses is exaggerated by them taking large write downs (meaning they reduced the value on paper of the manufacturing plants they own).

They are however transitioning to a smaller company with the loss of the P&S market so there will be casualties (eg. moving to distributors in some markets like Malaysia/Indonesia).
Nobody’s making a profit this year with the exception of maybe Canon. It’s just that nobody else gets the same level of scrutiny, well Olympus did. To put into perspective Olympus imaging recorded losses in 10 of the last 12 years which included the digital camera boom years. Versus Nikon’s one year of loss in a pandemic affected mount transition year.

Boxerfan: if you still want to use your F-mount lens then Z is still your best bet.
But if you want to change, F-mount protocols are well known enough that adapters for E-mount and RF mount will be easily obtainable. So choose your mirrorless system based on what that system offer rather than worry too much about compatibility with your F-mount lenses.

Did anyone learn from Jokowi's labour laws reforms? He did that for the good of the country.
Instead, it triggered unreasonable protests led by unions and religious activists.

Nikon is cutting costs and that is good, in view of Covid19.
This is good management by Nikon.

Do not underestimate the power of Nikon user base.

Nikon and Canon were too slow to adopt AF full frame ILC mirrorless.
Because for years Nikon and Canon were happy to milk customers with minor changes to "new" models of DSLRs every few years.
Sony must be commended for breaking this stranglehold and forcing Nikon and Canon to go AF full frame ILC mirrorless.

Nikon is a member of the Mitsubishi group of companies (keiretsu).
That is like Mitsui.
Or Siemens in Germany.
They have financial muscle.

Last edited:
I expect Nikon to pull out of the camera industry.
Repeated stupid moves.
1. Keeping the Key Mission line
2. Killing off the DL compacts
3. Nikon 1. Cameras too big for that teeny sensor size. Look at the Nikon V1! Small with the 10-30 lens! Then you realise that the Sony RX100m3 beats it hands down. Better lens, smaller body....
4. Nikon D780... I didn't ask for the removal of the integral flash or battery grip option. I didn't ask for a touchscreen live view 4K unit only with the rear LCD which is an ergonomics nightmare....
But I did ask for IBIS.
Which is a reason why I would not have shifted to the Z mount...
Hey, even Pentax can have a FF IBIS DSLR!!!
Oh right, I own that.... The K1.
But I prefer Nikon's modern AF F mount lenses.
I love the 105/1.4, but without IBIS I have to shoot at 1/125 or faster...
5. Z mount
- 2 years for the replacements to the Z6 and Z7... A bulky battery grip and XQD.
I don't need XQD! I need dual SD slots! Sony got that right...
They could have redesigned the battery grip to be like the D750... Flat without a protruding phallus.

In summary, I hope they make a D850 replacement with IBIS and a lighter form factor. Nope, not the Z7ii.

I may get the Z7ii in the subsequent fire sale....

Nikon and many other manufacturers in the photographic industry face the same problem.

They usually have an internal fight about which way to go.

Sometimes the company CEO is inclined towards a particular direction.
Except in some cases the company CEO happens to be also WRONG.
(He would not know it because paid flatterers sing praises of the company's products on Internet)
That is a company heading towards disaster.

Much like the captain of the Titanic sailing towards the iceberg.
Most know what happened to Kodak.
Most know what happened to another company on 24 Jun 2020.

A company deeply hurt by internal turmoil will make terrible mistakes.

Which company saved itself from the brink of collapse?
Apple.
The board of directors had the guts to decisively FIRE John Sculley III
(who was a office politics type and NOT a creative genius)
and get Steve Jobs back as the new CEO.

Japanese companies with its group think concept usually do not have that kind of guts.

Maybe in 2020 Panasonic parent company needs to learn something from Apple.
The current management of Panasonic camera division seems to be still living in the year 2008.
Although the saving grace is they did enter the L mount alliance very late in 2018.

Nikon is likely to survive this difficult period.
The 850 has been described as a very good camera.
If they put in IBIS and other refinements, maybe they got a successful combination for those who still like DSLR.

Last edited:

Sad...

• Sad
Smartphones have already replaced point & shoot cameras. The next wave will be the bigger toys.