Malaysian Formula 1 Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.

malamute72

Aug 12, 2003
Sengkang
Visit site
The F1 Grand Prix of Malaysia will be held from 19 to 21 March 2004 at the Sepang International Circuit in Kuala Lumpur. Any clubsnappers are going to the circuit to watch the Malaysian F1 GP live? and maybe take some nice pictures at the same time? :)

I have been there for the past 3 years as a F1 fan and a spectator of the race. Though I've always watched from the hill stand coz I didnot have enough money for the covered hill-stand seats or the grand stand seats. ;p :(

I may try to organise a group of guys to watch the Malaysian F1 GP in Sepang. Probably a 2 days 1 nite trip to watch the 2 qualifying rounds on Saturday and the race on Sunday. Anybody interested?

I'm interested if there isn't any work to do at that time.

Don't have too much expectations about taking any action shots though. Don't know about KL but I've been to Melbourne GP, unless you're there damn early, rich enough to buy grand stand tics or possess a press pass, forget about shooting the race.

malamute72 said:
The F1 Grand Prix of Malaysia will be held from 19 to 21 March 2004 at the Sepang International Circuit in Kuala Lumpur. Any clubsnappers are going to the circuit to watch the Malaysian F1 GP live? and maybe take some nice pictures at the same time? :)

I have been there for the past 3 years as a F1 fan and a spectator of the race. Though I've always watched from the hill stand coz I didnot have enough money for the covered hill-stand seats or the grand stand seats. ;p :(

I may try to organise a group of guys to watch the Malaysian F1 GP in Sepang. Probably a 2 days 1 nite trip to watch the 2 qualifying rounds on Saturday and the race on Sunday. Anybody interested?

i'm keen. i was there in 2002. quite impossible to take pro shots unless u have the appropriate passes and an array of telephoto zooms.

i'm looking ard for packages, safra.org.sg offers some. but only hillstand($75) and K1 tix($450). room rates start fr 200bucks i think. quite busy with schoolwork, not much time to scout around for packages. if u find any gd deals. lemme noe.

Hi Kit and di0nysus, I do agreed that it is difficult to get professional action shots unless you have the pit passes or rich enough to spend on the grand stand seats. But then, you might still get decent shots of the F1 cars when they slow down at the corners, and your favorite drivers when they do the drivers' parade. ;) :)

Also, I do agreed with tmc17479 that the race queens or pit babes as some might call, are the other perks of attending a F1 GP. ;) Last year when I attended the sepang race, there were some nice looking gals promoting beers and cigarettes at the hillstand area where we seated. Me and my friends actually took some nice pictures with them. Not to mentioned the other sun-tanning bikini babes (both angmos & asians) who were also watching the race from our hillstand. ;) :)

Anyway, back to our original topic, I have always buy tickets for hill stand area G. That is the best place to catch some actions as you can get to see the 2 of slowest corners of the circuit, Turn 4 & 15, where overtaking can be commonly seen. Other than that, you get to also see Turn 3, the fastest corner of the circuit, and the other Turn 5, 6, 7 & 8. At Turn 5, the cars will be close enough that you can smell their exhaust fumes and burning rubber.

I am looking for a good deal for the package. Hopefully can get a deal at $200++ which includes 1 night hotel stay (4-stars) in Central KL, transport to & fro from KL, the transfer between the circuit and the hotel, and most importantly, the hillstand ticket (2 days) for the Saturday and Sunday events. Will let you guys know more details as I get them. Cheers!

To those who are interested, I have managed to get a lobang for a 3 days 2 nites trip for the Malaysian F1 GP.

The package will includes:
1. 3 days chartered transport (minibus or bus, depending on attendance),
2. 2 nites stay at Hotel Impiana (just beside Chinatown or Jalan Petaling),
3. 2 days entry ticket (Hillstand) for the GP weekend.

Cost slightly more than $300. Can neogotiate to the agency if the attendance is good. Those who are keen can pm me for more details.

Cheers.

When is the deadline that we have to let u know by?

malamute72 said:
To those who are interested, I have managed to get a lobang for a 3 days 2 nites trip for the Malaysian F1 GP.

The package will includes:
1. 3 days chartered transport (minibus or bus, depending on attendance),
2. 2 nites stay at Hotel Impiana (just beside Chinatown or Jalan Petaling),
3. 2 days entry ticket (Hillstand) for the GP weekend.

Cost slightly more than $300. Can neogotiate to the agency if the attendance is good. Those who are keen can pm me for more details.

Cheers.

Hi guys, thanks for your responses.

I have been to the Malaysia F1 GP for 3 years now, & I really enjoyed myself there at the Sepang circuit during the race and the F1 parties in KL before race day. So I hoped that you guys who are interested can try to attend the race for a unique experience, at a relatively cheap price. :)

Please do confirm your attendance, if you are interested, as soon as possible before 10 March 2004, coz I still need to liase with the necessary people who are preparing this trip. I will update this thread on the itinerary & events for the F1 trip as I get more information. Cheers!

malamute72 said:
Hi guys, thanks for your responses.

I have been to the Malaysia F1 GP for 3 years now, & I really enjoyed myself there at the Sepang circuit during the race and the F1 parties in KL before race day. So I hoped that you guys who are interested can try to attend the race for a unique experience, at a relatively cheap price. :)

Please do confirm your attendance, if you are interested, as soon as possible before 10 March 2004, coz I still need to liase with the necessary people who are preparing this trip. I will update this thread on the itinerary & events for the F1 trip as I get more information. Cheers!

i'm interested. But i can only go on sunday, have important lesson on sat and my exams will be nearing. :( . do you have any one day packages?

Hi di0nysus,

I am sorry to know that you cannot make it due to lessons and exams. The package that I am arranging is for 3 days 2 nites only.

However, if you are keen for the 1 day trip, maybe can try calling Misa Travel at Tel. 6538-0318. I think they do arrange for a Day Tripper Package for local F1 fans. Maybe check out their website airfares.com.sg for more information too.

Cheers.

Is there a 1 day trip on 21 march 2004? I can only make it on this day and if they are kakis to go along would be great. ;)

The itinerary for the F1 trip will basically as follows:

Friday 19/03/04
0630hrs - Meet at YCK/AMK MRT Station
0645hrs - Leave for Kuala Lumpur
1300hrs - Reach Kuala Lumpur & Check in Hotel Impiana
From 1330hrs onwards - Free & Easy

Saturday 20/03/04
1000hrs - Gather to leave for Sepang Circuit
1130hrs - Reach Sepang Circuit
1400hrs - F1 Qualifying Starts
1530hrs - F1 Qualifying Ends
1600hrs - Gather & Return to KL
1730hrs - Reach KL, then Free & Easy again!

Sunday 21/03/04
1000hrs - Check out of Hotel & gather to leave for Sepang Circuit
1200hrs - Reach Sepang Circuit
1200hrs to 1500hrs - Watch Drivers Parade, Silver Arrows & other support races.
1500hrs - Malaysian F1 Grand Prix Starts
1630hrs - MAlaysian F1 GP Ends
1700hrs - Gather to leave for Singapore
2200hrs - Reach Singapore

The timings are indicative only. The final timings will be confirmed 1 week prior to leaving for the trip. Cheers.

malamute72 said:
The itinerary for the F1 trip will basically as follows:

Sunday 21/03/04
1000hrs - Check out of Hotel & gather to leave for Sepang Circuit
1200hrs - Reach Sepang Circuit
1200hrs to 1500hrs - Watch Drivers Parade, Silver Arrows & other support races.
1500hrs - Malaysian F1 Grand Prix Starts
1630hrs - MAlaysian F1 GP Ends
1700hrs - Gather to leave for Singapore
2200hrs - Reach Singapore

The timings are indicative only. The final timings will be confirmed 1 week prior to leaving for the trip. Cheers.

Can help us check whether we can go on Sunday morning and join you at Circuit at Noon. The we go back together at 2200hrs.
Probably a lot of us poor, buzy souls can only make it on Sunday.

Hi Malamute. Thanx for the details. Can let us know what is the price of the package above and when is the latest date we can confirm with you?

Thanks for the reply from those interested.

lauLEE, I can understand that some of you guys are busy and only want to attend the Sunday Race. However, the package I am arranging with for 3 days 2 nites because some of my friends, including me, were thinking of taking a short break at KL during the F1 weekend and soaked in the F1 carnival atmosphere.

I am sorry that I was not able to arrange a day trip there, as I will be in KL then. Do check out Misa Travel for the Day Tripper Package. I think the price is going for $148 per person. Safra may also be offering a day trip because they did have one last year. Hope this helps those interested in the day trip. :)

ST1100, the tentative price for the package now is S$313. If more people join the trip, I may be able to negotiate a better price, probably less than $300. But this is really dependant on the overall attendance. If you and your friends are interested, please let me know the earliest possible, though I said earlier that the final date to confirm will be before 10 March 2004. I hope you understand the difficulties involved in arranging for the F1 GP tickets, hotel rooms and transportation. Thanks for expressing your interest. :)

Cheers.

I have attached some extracts from the Sepang Circuit News for those interested. Cheers.

Kuala Lumpur to Live Up City with Formula One Activities

Promoted as The World Hottest Race, the Formula One Petronas Malaysian Grand Prix has again engaged Kuala Lumpur City Hall and Tourism Malaysia as their major partners. For the second consecutive year, Kuala Lumpur is being promoted internationally as the Formula One Grand Prix City.

Held in conjunction with the national Malaysia Mega Sale Carnival, shoppers will enjoy lucrative discounts on their shopping as the whole nation goes on sale for the whole of March.

Running up to the race, Kuala Lumpur City Hall had also sought the support of hotels, shopping complexes and entertainment outlets around the city to organise their F1 promotions within their premises. Formula One partners and sponsors are also expected to adopt certain prominent streets in the city and dressed them in the respective team colours to give that festive Formula One atmosphere.

Come the Race Weekend, Kuala Lumpur City Hall will have the KL Grand Prix City weekend festival will kick off in Bukit Bintang. It will be an evening that will feature a mixture of modern entertainment and cultural performances plus plenty of F1-related fun and games, sale of motorsports merchandise and display of racing cars.

The highlight of the evening will be the launch of the ‘KL Night’ where for three consecutive nights, 100 powerful searchlights will beam one mile up the sky and transform the KL skyline. Twenty buildings around the city centre will also be lit in the colours of the rainbow to further excite the ground events.

Expect the best of KL Grand Prix celebration on 20thMarch at designated celebration zones in the city such as at Bukit Bintang, Changkat Bukit Bintang, Jalan P. Ramlee, KL Tower with live concerts featuring local and foreign entertainers; exciting freebies and give-aways; pyrotechnics and fireworks as well as fantastic grand prizes.

The Kuala Lumpur Grand Prix City programme will be concluded with the F1 Celebration Party. It will be held in Dataran Merdeka after the race to honour the winner of the 2004 Malaysian F1 race.

I went with wheelsforfun in 2002. Pretty good organisation.

I'm aiming for go for the one day package, $168 K2 hill stand. Have to book by 16th march. which is pretty late. I think they should have many more vacancies, as they can charter more buses. In 2002, there were 3 buses.

I'm going to enter the STREATS pg41 F1 competition and try for the lucky draw first. Draw ends at 9th march. If I don't get it, then i'll go for the wheelsforfun 1 day package.

:cool:

BTW, Safra not organising any F1 trips this yr, they only did so last year.
Misa travel is fully booked, at least for the one day tripper.

looking for zoom lens now to bring ..hehe..

Hi di0nysus,

Hope you get lucky with the lucky draw. It is good to know that you will attend the race this year again. This year race will be more exciting, now that both McLaren and Williams have produced even better cars. Not to mention Renault and BAR have also improved alot too. Ferrari will face very stiff competition from at least these 4 teams. Do enjoy this exciting season of Formula 1. Cheers. :)

Hi all,

After the Australia GP yesterday, I still hope there are people who might still be interested to join me for the Malaysian F1 GP trip. I know, the Ferraris' dominance at the Australia GP is boring, but I hope the Australian race is not a true representation of the relative competitiveness of the different teams and cars. I seriously do hope that the opponents will raise their game in the coming races, and makes F1 more interesting. ;p

Anyway, the final price for the Malaysian F1 GP trip is pegged at $300 nett, which includes:

1. 3 days chartered transport (minibus - Ford Transit),
2. 2 nites stay (twin share) at Hotel Malaya (just beside Chinatown),
3. 2 days (Sat & Sun) entry ticket (Hillstand) for the GP weekend.

This is the last call for those interested. I will not be able to include any more people after 9 Mar 04, as I will made my bookings on 10 Mar 04. Thanks you very much for your attention. Cheers. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.