[keithwee] Review of the Fujifilm Instax SQ6 camera.

keithwee

Staff member
Aug 20, 2010
LittleRedDot
Today on 15 May 2018, Fujifilm has announced the Instax Square SQ6 camera. I’ve been fortunate to review it before release and am very humbled to share with everyone here my review.

P.S: I was invited to post the full version of the review here but it takes too much time , hence the full complete version is still at:

A year ago when I was introduced to the hybrid Instax SQ10 and later the Instax Share Printer SP-3 (my review is here), a nagging feeling that persisted in the back of my mind was:

Will we ever see a 'true' Instax Square Camera?​

and a month ago, these nagging thoughts was put to rest when I was invited to test out the to-be-announced on 15 May 2018 (today!) Fujifilm Instax Square SQ6 camera.

41865552251_631dbdf214_k.jpg

Lens Build and Design.

In a nutshell - hold it in one's hands and the SQ6 will come across as beautiful and robust with a well made chassis with well defined nooks and crannies. One knows attention was paid to the details by the engineers and designers, from the slim profile topped with a rimmed top ON/OFF switch, to the well polished surfaces and well placed controls.

For the numbers-driven readers, the SQ6 comes in a 118.7 x 128.1 x 58.1mm size and weighs in at 393 grams. Nice dimensions to work with for a everyday bring-along camera to capture all the spontaneous moments.

40966974675_31d8470e8c_k.jpg

The SQ6's lens is designed to be retractable and comprises of 2 elements with a focal length of approx 66mm with a motor driven focusing system switchable to 3 ranges of 0.3 to 0.5m, 0.5 to 2m and 2m to infinity.

26997268117_f67791c9b2_k.jpg

The SQ6 comes in 3 colour variants too, reviewed here is the Graphite Gray version, while we also have the Blush Gold and Pearl White versions to suit the individual palate.

For me who has been drooling for the X-Pro 2 Graphite Black version since its release, at least the SQ6 Graphite Gray version is way more affordable.

P.S: I am pretty sure the other 2 colours went to a pretty instagrammer who will post glamorous lifestyle shots holding it in her hands.

Handling.

The controls of the SQ6 are perfectly designed for the Instax user going by the design beliefs of : Make it Simple, Simpler and Simplest.

Load the film in, switch the camera on, set the appropriate shooting mode and yes, do press the shutter button and one is ready to go. (I don't foresee anyone not recognising the shutter button )

26997266537_6dd2216831_k.jpg

The Instax Square SQ6 comes beefed up with a myriad of functions available to capture the best of every moment and the list goes as:

Automatic Exposure Control: as the name suggests, a fuss-free and it just works! shooting experience.
Selfie Mode : (with build in selfie mirror) where the camera adjusts to the optimum focal length and exposure for the selfie.
Macro Mode: Allows closer-up shots with a focusing distance of 30-50cm.
Landscape Mode: Ideal for capturing landscape/objects in the distance (2m to infinity)
Double Exposure Mode: Press the shutter twice for an artistic shot with two images overlaid in the same print.
Light / Dark Modes: The freedom to add a High-key or Low-key effect to the Instax shot.

41865554891_42f70948b6_k.jpg

Details, Details and Details.

Instead of the typical row of LED lights, now a quick glance is all you need to check out the remaining number of films. Yes, thats the grip area to the right of the film quantity window.

41865554491_13fad26ca0_k.jpg

Lastly, before we get to the shooting, the SQ6 also comes packed with a trio of strobe colour filters which one can attach to the flash with a click. We know, for that moment when you really want to YOLO with your prints.

26997266887_4a7957cf93_k.jpg

and now, let's get to the samples part!

before anything else, pls allow me to share my standard disclaimer.

1. The SQ6 was loaned from Fujifilm Asia Pacific for 2 weeks and was returned at the end of the review period. I did not receive any payment in any form for this review.
2. All images of the Square Instax films amd the SQ6 itself were photographed using a Fujifilm X-H1 and the XF35F1.4 lens.
3. Every single piece of instax film sample shown here was truly shot using the SQ6 camera. (sorry, my integrity forbids me to follow what some blogs do with trying to pass off SP-3 prints as SQ6 prints)

..... The samples gallery and rest of the review will be at the post here.

Last edited:
Nice review!