[keithwee] Review of I-Coat Studio, scratch proofing and water resistant your cameras

keithwee

Staff member
Aug 20, 2010
LittleRedDot
Protecting our photography equipment with scratch proofing and water resistance: a review of I-coat nano tech's new offering.​

Let's get this out of the way first.

Yes, photography is cheap to start but definitely not cheap to grow.​

Ask anyone who craves that F0.95 lens vs the kit F3.5-F5.6 lens or someone who craves that 14 fps capability vs a 6 fps ability and you understand.

It is true that one can purchase a working camera for nothing more than a $100 today but it still doesn't change the fact that as one invests more, one will soon hit a point where the depth of out pockets doesn't seem deep enough.

And let's be pragmatic, as a friend said to me before.

"Good, Cheap and Fast will never appear together, if you want Good and Fast, you have to forgo Cheap and so on". 

No, I am not going to nag about how much one should spend on one's equipment, that totally barking up the wrong tree. Its only obvious the idea of value depends wholly on oneself's perceptions and biases.

So instead of that, I am going to focus on something else that second closest to our minds.

Assuming we have done all due duty in protecting our equipment, is there anything else to prevent Murphy's Law from getting to them?

38871472301_85c640fe28_h.jpg

And with friend introducing me to this newly formed company, I-Coat (the sole distributor of Nano-Coating Technology in Singapore that originated from Taiwan) and so well, we decided to try it this newly purported service that claims to provide a scratch proof and water resistance cover to your photographic equipment. 

Read on more to find out more about the whole process and how now I have a Fujifilm X100F that's worthy of being a street camera ready for what life can throw at it. Click here.

hi Keith!

good sharing! saw this on flickr and your blog earlier.

wanted to check how does the water resistance work when the buttons have a gap, for example the shutter button. will water seep in intead of forming a bubble on the rear D pad buttons?

hi bro,

sorry for the late reply. But good too as more time to test is always better. It forms a bubble :) and doesn't seep in. One thing to note however is I was told the WR layer is effective for around 3 years, which is guess is around the time period by which we will have upgraded our gears too.

This thread may be old, BUT this is very useful information.

Thanks bro, iNano is still operating and honestly they have always done a pretty job worthy to be proud of.

Just to update:

I sent in my Pentax FA Limiteds and my new ZY Mitakon Speedmaster 85mm F1.2 to them today. Owner Patrick asked how I know about the shop and I mentioned Keith and he said ah ok.

Will collect the lenses tomorrow after work. :)

Got the lenses back today. Hard to tell with naked eye about the coating. Will need to test with a couple of drops of water.

Same here :) I realized they closed while looking for a new shop space. I am in contact with the boss and will update once they open again