[keithwee] An user’s Review of the Fujifilm XF10 camera: the love that’s pocketable

keithwee

Staff member
Aug 20, 2010
LittleRedDot
Note: The full (including sample images) and most updated version of the review will be at keithwee.com , here.

My first impression of Fujfilm APSC cameras being truly pocketable (no, not cargo pants pocketable which is cheating) actually started with the Fujifilm X70 a few years ago.

22993719894_7664f81a3b_h.jpg

Yeap, thats 18 months old Kei getting to know the X70 for scale . Back then in early 2015, cramming an APSC-sized sensor into a body this small with built-in flash, tilt and touch screen capabilities proved the X70 to be a hit akin to the Ricoh GR.

3 years on, with no news of a X80, I had moved on and assumed nothing would ever come close to the X70 again in terms of APSC sized compactness… until the day I was handed this baby from Fujifilm Asia Pacific.

42393968705_e13c0f90b2_h.jpg

Introducing the Fujifilm XF10 with a 28mm F2.8 equiv lens.

To set the record straight, the XF10 is even smaller than the X70 with both sporting an APSC-sized sensor but the XF10’s a Bayer sensor vs X70’s X-Trans II sensor.

Both present similar 28mm F2.8 equivalent lenses but the XF10’s is updated to be even more compact and yes, much faster in performance down to even tracking moving subjects.

And so here my sharing of this petite wonder starts.

The XF10.

42580123874_4bb6ddf16d_h.jpg

By now you would have noticed this is a Champagne Gold / Brown leatherette version and general reactions will probably be:
1. OMG?! Where can I get one of this beautiful camera?
Ans: Yes, similar to the X-T100, the Champagne gold shade seems to be a common staple now.
2. OMG?! Is there a black version?
Ans: yes of course

First thoughts was the designers have managed sort of a daring redesign, bringing to reality the idea of minimalism into the XF10. One notices that first off the bat, there is no hot-shoe, but the camera comes with a built in flash like the X100 series and X70.

42393964285_c4632ddae4_h.jpg

43248356552_4745ba9f55_h.jpg

Buttons are now mostly on the right side to enable one hand operation (the XF10’s really compact) One gets 3 dials as seen. One for PASM and direct access to some of the most commonly used SR+ (Fujifilm’s AUTO mode) modes including in-camera panorama. I am mostly a Aperture priority shooter and as such have set the middle dial to adjust Aperture and the rightmost dial to adjust Exposure compensation and that’s frankly all I need for general shooting.

The ON/OFF switch is now recessed and has a firm press to it. And together with the well-machined dials with rimmed sides, the buttons & dials are excellent to handle.

The XF10 is really light but its not flimsy. Its pretty solidly made for a camera and in my handling of it, it’s obviously not going to survive a fall from the second storey (well, my iPhone X won’t either) but it definitely tough enough for everyday’s challenges.

43248357222_e5a1eee852_h.jpg

Turn it over and one sees a back dominated by the LCD screen (its touch AF, touch focus enabled) accompanied with that’s necessarily important – the Menu, DISP/Back, Play, Trash/Drive buttons together with the 5-way control knob that allows one instant access to changing focal points instantaneously if one prefers to not use the touch screen.

Yes, you should have noticed by now the D-pad is gone, and to be honest – it was something that disturbed me at the beginning when setting up the camera. However, when I started shooting, it was nothing that I missed much as some of the D-pad functions have also been shifted over the touch-LCD, for example the left D-pad button to access film simulations is now a soft-copy button on the screen hence there’s minimal loss of functionality and access.

42580131074_9770282eeb_h.jpg

The much loved Q (Quick) access button is still present, together with a customisable button on top to a function one desires.
(Disclaimer: I was testing the XF10 with very pre-production firmware and as such I am unable to share the functions one may map to this Custom button)

The XF10 otherwise does come with most if not all of the standards even for its diminutive size.

Specs.

For the spec readers, here a quick summary to brighten up your day (may be updated later)

• 24.2 megapixels APSC Bayer sensor
  • 18.5mm F2.8 lens (28mm equivalent)
  • Minimum focusing distance: 10cm (this is super nice if you never realised it)
  • 112.5mm x 64.4mm x 41.0, at 278.9g with battery inside.
    (well, you need to know a GFX50S batt weighs in at 114g already in comparison)
  • Digital teleconverters to 35mm and 50mm (or 1.25x and 1.8x). (i never ever recommend using this)
  • 11 film simulations and 19 types of advanced filters.
  • A 91-point hybrid autofocus system, 6 fps burst shooting and 4K/15p video capture.

Handling.

Handling the XF10 was straightforward and Fujifilm has been excellent in making user friendly cameras. The diminutive size (that’s an iPhone 8+ as comparison below) made this a camera one which very few onlookers were wary off and one-hand operation was easy with the dials and most of the buttons within reach with one hand.

43298197831_3d4e841c64_h.jpg

The well machined rimmed edges and the small thumb rest also adds positively to the handling experiences, giving a good old steady grip on the camera. I would love to have a tilt screen but I guess that would have added significantly to the thickness of the camera.

43248355992_bbeee3de3a_h.jpg

Firmware wise, any Fujifilm user will be happy to know that the menus are mostly the same and carried over from the other models in the family and its no big problem getting in straight to shooting.

43298198831_b902524453_h.jpg

The sample photos and conclusion come next and for that pls visit keithwee.com

Last edited: