Is my Canon 7D sensor defective already?

whoswho

Jan 27, 2006
20230812_0206.jpg

I'm currently having inconsistent (about 60% of the time) image issue with my Canon 7D. Is my sensor defective already and is it serviceable?

We tend to think it's a sensor issue because that's what we notice first but a digital camera consists of sub systems much like a personal computer. Obvious of course is the image sensor then the controllers like camera functions (CPU ) and image processor that interprets the image sensor signals to form an image and also memory like ram and storage media. If any one of these sub systems fail or faulty it can show up as image readout faults or complete failure.

The linked articles below suggests a reset of the camera to its factory default settings but not necessarily pertain to your specific issue but try it anyway. The reset setting is in the cameras menu so search for it. Secondly you may want to replace the time and date battery ( cr1616) of the camera. Who knows how the camera's firmware really works. If all else fails then a visit to canon service center for an opinion.

We tend to think it's a sensor issue because that's what we notice first but a digital camera consists of sub systems much like a personal computer. Obvious of course is the image sensor then the controllers like camera functions (CPU ) and image processor that interprets the image sensor signals to form an image and also memory like ram and storage media. If any one of these sub systems fail or faulty it can show up as image readout faults or complete failure.

The linked articles below suggests a reset of the camera to its factory default settings but not necessarily pertain to your specific issue but try it anyway. The reset setting is in the cameras menu so search for it. Secondly you may want to replace the time and date battery ( cr1616) of the camera. Who knows how the camera's firmware really works. If all else fails then a visit to canon service center for an opinion.

No luck. Reset the camera, used different CF Cards... lines are now more consistent... :(

Looking at the stripes I would guess it's shutter related. The shutter curtains have a similar horizontal structure and move vertically across the frame. A check with canon Service center would be good.