How to learn video editing and audio editing and how to prepare myself for it

pchengws

Oct 26, 2009
Red Dot Island
Dear CSers,

I need help again. I am a retired person has some photography knowledge able to edit digital photos with Light room and some Photoshop knowledge. I work part time for a non-profit clan organization.

All the sudden the Office requested me to help work on video projects. It is to record short events like interview people, record cooking session etc. and put on web site to make the clan more popular.

I have done straight video recording but never need to edit it. I believe Editing will be video and sound. I have no software nor hardware with me.

Could the experts advise me ;

1. where to learn video editing including audio. I can use skill future fund but not sure which training school or Poly provide good and easy to understand class.

2. Any basic lighting I need to purchase and roughly how much will it cost me?

3. Any basic audio editing equipment I need to have also?

All the above will be "help" the office basis. So I would like to keep it minimum investment although I can use it to record my grand-children when they pop up.

Roughly how long will be the learning cycle?

Thank you in advance.

AV8 media provides training for professional NLEs (Non-Linear Editor) like Premiere, FCP and Da Vinci. Courses, I think run for 3 days. You will learn the interface, the workflow, and shortcuts. But I doubt the courses cover the aesthetics of editing.

Editing is just like cooking. No chef can do every dish. Start learning dish by dish, or genre by genre, set-piece by set-piece.

Editing is also the essential feedback loop of videography. Videographers who don't review and try to edit what they shot blindside themselves to the production mistakes they make. Just like a chef who don't taste his own cooking.

There are plenty of online instructions on Youtube and that's how you can shoestring your learning process.
The best way to learn editing is to actually have a 'deliverable'. That means, an actual project you need to get done. That way, you will seek information in a very focused manner to get from one step to the next.
Don't worry about making mistakes. NLE's are non-destructive so your rushes are safe as long as you don't delete the source files. Everything you do on your NLE is just referenced to the original clip which remains unchanged.

Before you spend money on a course , you will have to make 3 very tough decisions.
1. Choose your NLE (Non-Linear Editing) software
2. Choose the OS that will run your NLE
3. Choose the hardware that will run your OS and NLE
The tough part is : which decision to make first?

My advice is : choose the OS (WIN/OSX) that you are familiar with if you are in a time crunch. Otherwise you will have to learn the OS BEFORE you learn the NLE.

If your association can sponsor an annual subscription fee for Adobe Premiere CC, go for it. (It is easy to learn)
But,if,like me, you don't want to be held ransom by Adobe, consider FCPX for MAC, or the free iMovie or for PCs, the free Blackmagic Design Da Vinci.

Personally, I strongly recommend FCPX because:
1) I'm a biased mac user and I can't afford down time caused by viruses.
2) I'm stingy and don't want to pay thousands of dollars in Adobe subscriptions
2) I enjoy using Quicktime, million of colors+, and Prores which will not be supported by Windows in future
3) I'm a lazy 'cook' and likes to buy 'premix' and 'instant sauces' from Pixelfilm Studios, Motion VFX, and Crumple Pop
4) I don't enjoy Adobe After Effects at all.

So after the wise decision to edit on FCPX has been made, just buy a secondhand mac - one with USB3.0 and thunderbolt. Anything after 2012 is fine so long as you are editing interviews in 1080p.

Now the expensive expendables - Storage. There's no way you can stay sane if you keep running out of storage.
For video editing, external storage is a must, otherwise your system will slow to a crawl.
Luckily cheap 7200rpm storage is still fine for 1080p. In the long run, the cheapest media is still internal SATA 3.5" drives. Buy the brand you can trust most. (WD Black / WD enterprise have OK track record with me ) Choose either USB3.0 enclosure or Thunderbolt enclosures but stay away from toolless ones. They will damage your hard drives.

For barebones interview lighting, get 2 Yongnuo YN360 lightwand ($99 from Orient). This is a 1.5 foot light which is very soft if mounted horizontally and rather hard when mounted vertically. Use it horizontally as a key/fill and vertically as as a backlight. Use a reverse-folding (eg Manfrotto 5001B) lightstand (they have a wider footprint) for better stability when mounting the light horizontally. Get the 55W Came-TV Boltzen fresnel if you need a stronger outdoor sunfill or a harder backlight. Both the YN360 and the Boltzen uses the same generic NPF L -series batteries.

For interview audio, check your camera first for mic inputs and headphone inputs. If you have both mic and headphone ports, you will have more miking choices.
Assuming you have both ports and want a wireless setup for convenience, the Rodelink newshooter is the best investment in that it can be used with lavalier mics, shotgun mics and cardiord handmics. This is very useful for different interview scenarios - from sit-down, walk-n-talk or voxpop. You will need to purchase your preferred mic separately.

If your camera has a mic port but no phone port, then the sony urx-p03d will give you 2 separate channels of audio and 'restore' the missing headphone port in one sexy package.

If your camera has neither mic nor phone ports, then you have even more choices!
Conventionally, you can get a Zoom H4n/H5 recorder and a pair of Rodelink Newshooters. But after you see how unweldy this combination is, you will rather buy a camera with the two necessaary audio ports. Canon 80D is a good choice but so is the Panasonic FZ2000.

As I see it, if your interviewee is not a VIP and you can live with the psychological stress of not knowing what your mics are picking up, then why not make do with a Tascam DR-10L lavalier recorder attached to your talent?
But if you prefer the miking flexibility of the Rode Newsshooter, minus the wireless price tag, consider also the Saramonic SR-VRM1 XLR recorder. This fits directly to any XLR mic (lav, shotgun, cardiord) and can supply phantom power. You will need to find a sexy money clip for it if you want to use it with a lavalier. But that's easy with Sugru.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy Law
Thank you Bamboopicture for your very lengthy explanation and valuable suggestion that have Deunamist agreeing with it.

All along I use PC partly I am an IT person and sad to say I am not familiar with Mac OS. If for all the reason given I should have Mac, i do not mind to find an excuse with my wife to buy one and force myself to learn it.

I have two type of camera. Nikon D7000 and D800 with various lenses. I start switch to Olympus purely because of the weight and Nikon Live view is poor. I have EP 3 and Olympus EM1. Again I have the 7-14, 14-40 and 40-150 Pro lenses plus few prime lenses. I think lenses are enough, just the lighting and audio editing hardware and video software.

I did download the Da Vinci last night but the installation fail for an unknown reason. i will uninstall and try again. I have a 16 GB RAM with 1T HDD DELL Laptop, 2GB onboard graphic.

May I know why you mentioned NLE (Non-Linear Editing)? Is there another editing method?

Is there a web site or club like others has critique andf guide corner and I can learn on a faster pace?

You can sign up with a Da Vinci Resolve training partner for online courses

This will allow you to understand the interface and workflow. As for how to pace and how to select and arrange your content, the 'Inside the edit' course seems very promising.

Da Vinci Resolve is a free and powerful software that Blackmagic Design has created in the hope that you will frustrate yourself with your existing hardware and eventually buy their $39,000 suite instead. Suffice to say, the hardware requirement is pretty demanding and that may be why you may have trouble installing and running it. The reason for high hardware requirement is that Resolve is primarily a color correction software that is designed to process high bitrate video. The editing functions of Resolve is a very new addition and has not been very well tested or widely adopted by editors.

In comparison,there are many graphics cards that provides CUDA processing for Premiere. And FCPX is of course a mative Apple app written to take advantage of the integrated Intel graphics processor.

If neither FCPX or Premiere are viable for you, Vegas Movie Studio 14 is the next most popular NLE on the list.
Alternatively, you can purchase Adobe Premiere Elements - a highly watered down NLE that sullies the Premiere name but does not require monthly fees.

On the term NLE, editing was alway a linear process when the format of the day was Betacam SP tapes. Just like copying from a VCR, you line up the shots sequentially onto videotape. If you want to change the sequence of 2 clips of different durations you'll have to re-edit the tape from the point of the change. Very much like a typewriter vs a word processor.

Of course, the most popular NLEs in circulation today will have the best support ecosystems in terms of plug-ins, online tutorials, forums, etc. Thats why it is easier to begin learning with the most popular NLEs.
There are as many FCPUG (user groups) as there are countries in the world.
As much as I hate to add to Tim Cook's arrogance, in the overall scheme of things, it is worthwhile to learn the mac OS just to use FCPX or iMovie. The OS, the NLE and the hardware are almost regarded as a turnkey editing suite at the fraction of the price of traditional suites like Avid.

Last edited:
AV8 media provides training for professional NLEs (Non-Linear Editor) like Premiere, FCP and Da Vinci. Courses, I think run for 3 days. You will learn the interface, the workflow, and shortcuts. But I doubt the courses cover the aesthetics of editing.

Editing is just like cooking. No chef can do every dish. Start learning dish by dish, or genre by genre, set-piece by set-piece.

Editing is also the essential feedback loop of videography. Videographers who don't review and try to edit what they shot blindside themselves to the production mistakes they make. Just like a chef who don't taste his own cooking.

There are plenty of online instructions on Youtube and that's how you can shoestring your learning process.
The best way to learn editing is to actually have a 'deliverable'. That means, an actual project you need to get done. That way, you will seek information in a very focused manner to get from one step to the next.
Don't worry about making mistakes. NLE's are non-destructive so your rushes are safe as long as you don't delete the source files. Everything you do on your NLE is just referenced to the original clip which remains unchanged.

Before you spend money on a course , you will have to make 3 very tough decisions.
1. Choose your NLE (Non-Linear Editing) software
2. Choose the OS that will run your NLE
3. Choose the hardware that will run your OS and NLE
The tough part is : which decision to make first?

My advice is : choose the OS (WIN/OSX) that you are familiar with if you are in a time crunch. Otherwise you will have to learn the OS BEFORE you learn the NLE.

If your association can sponsor an annual subscription fee for Adobe Premiere CC, go for it. (It is easy to learn)
But,if,like me, you don't want to be held ransom by Adobe, consider FCPX for MAC, or the free iMovie or for PCs, the free Blackmagic Design Da Vinci.

Personally, I strongly recommend FCPX because:
1) I'm a biased mac user and I can't afford down time caused by viruses.
2) I'm stingy and don't want to pay thousands of dollars in Adobe subscriptions
2) I enjoy using Quicktime, million of colors+, and Prores which will not be supported by Windows in future
3) I'm a lazy 'cook' and likes to buy 'premix' and 'instant sauces' from Pixelfilm Studios, Motion VFX, and Crumple Pop
4) I don't enjoy Adobe After Effects at all.

So after the wise decision to edit on FCPX has been made, just buy a secondhand mac - one with USB3.0 and thunderbolt. Anything after 2012 is fine so long as you are editing interviews in 1080p.

Now the expensive expendables - Storage. There's no way you can stay sane if you keep running out of storage.
For video editing, external storage is a must, otherwise your system will slow to a crawl.
Luckily cheap 7200rpm storage is still fine for 1080p. In the long run, the cheapest media is still internal SATA 3.5" drives. Buy the brand you can trust most. (WD Black / WD enterprise have OK track record with me ) Choose either USB3.0 enclosure or Thunderbolt enclosures but stay away from toolless ones. They will damage your hard drives.

For barebones interview lighting, get 2 Yongnuo YN360 lightwand ($99 from Orient). This is a 1.5 foot light which is very soft if mounted horizontally and rather hard when mounted vertically. Use it horizontally as a key/fill and vertically as as a backlight. Use a reverse-folding (eg Manfrotto 5001B) lightstand (they have a wider footprint) for better stability when mounting the light horizontally. Get the 55W Came-TV Boltzen fresnel if you need a stronger outdoor sunfill or a harder backlight. Both the YN360 and the Boltzen uses the same generic NPF L -series batteries.

For interview audio, check your camera first for mic inputs and headphone inputs. If you have both mic and headphone ports, you will have more miking choices.
Assuming you have both ports and want a wireless setup for convenience, the Rodelink newshooter is the best investment in that it can be used with lavalier mics, shotgun mics and cardiord handmics. This is very useful for different interview scenarios - from sit-down, walk-n-talk or voxpop. You will need to purchase your preferred mic separately.

If your camera has a mic port but no phone port, then the sony urx-p03d will give you 2 separate channels of audio and 'restore' the missing headphone port in one sexy package.

If your camera has neither mic nor phone ports, then you have even more choices!
Conventionally, you can get a Zoom H4n/H5 recorder and a pair of Rodelink Newshooters. But after you see how unweldy this combination is, you will rather buy a camera with the two necessaary audio ports. Canon 80D is a good choice but so is the Panasonic FZ2000.

As I see it, if your interviewee is not a VIP and you can live with the psychological stress of not knowing what your mics are picking up, then why not make do with a Tascam DR-10L lavalier recorder attached to your talent?
But if you prefer the miking flexibility of the Rode Newsshooter, minus the wireless price tag, consider also the Saramonic SR-VRM1 XLR recorder. This fits directly to any XLR mic (lav, shotgun, cardiord) and can supply phantom power. You will need to find a sexy money clip for it if you want to use it with a lavalier. But that's easy with Sugru.

great advice....this should be made a sticky!

Fantastic material and advise. Bamboopictures your material will keep me busy for a week at least to digest. Will definitely get back for more results or questions.

Thank you very much.

Hi Bamboopictures, I need to test out with some of my video and see how easy or how difficult for me to pickup this skill.

For low cost how about VideoPad Video Editor home editor from NCH software? Reason is that I do not want to try a higher end software trail version and ended up feeling too difficult and give up the project. I need to try out reasonable easy to learn software and enhance my skill as I go along. After all the project supposed to be easy just video few video and paste together. This is what I am told to do but I know it will not be really so easy but too much investment in software and hardware I am not willing to put in also.

Any video editing software is fine as long as(A) it can accept the format you have shot in;
(B) allows for frame accurate splitting. Even if the NLE can only accept one single layer of video and 2 audio tracks, you can still splice in b-roll, unsynched audio track, voiceovers and music by exporting and reimporting the timeline multiple times -each time combining different tracks into one. If the NLE does not allow you to set the volume or mute the synched audio, you can use free video converters such as mpegstreamclip to export video only or audio only files before re-importing into the NLE to add further 'tracks'.

For beginners, it is important to lay the audio track first before the video track because it is the audio that determines the duration of each shot. The video track can be a talking head or b-roll but the audio track remains unchanged - usually the interview audio from a field recorder or a voiceover or just music.

To get around the lack of 3-point edit, use a free timecode calculator to set the in-out of the source b-roll required to replace the target talking head.

To get around lack of audio keyframes, splice up the ends of the clips and stagger the volume gradually.

For interviews, it's wise to deliberately insert flash-frames (Big Letter O overlayed on first frame of each clip ) between each cut so that the jump cuts are easier to spot after exporting and re-importing. After you re-importing a clip into a new timeline, you can then hunt for the flashframes and re-splice the mixdown clip again if necessary.

Overlay the flashframes with b-roll, photos, or interview footage from a second angle.

The paradox of entry level NLE is that they actually require more time, finesse and skills to create the same simple project with professional NLEs. You will see why shortly.

For single layer NLE with one embedded audio and one extra audio track, a typical workflow for interview editing will be:

1. Start timeline1 to arrange talking head in desired order. Export as movie1.mpg/AVI/WMV/MOV. Export audio only as movie1.wav. If 'export audio only' is not available, open movie1 with mpegstreamclip to export the audio track as movie1.wav.

2. If NLE supports volume control for embeded audio, import movie1.wav. Align the waveform until there is no echo. Movie1.wav is now the guide track. Lock it if possible because this is the time marker for the first round of editing you have done. If the video track loses synch, movie1.wav will be your reference.
Insert b-roll. Use a timecode calculator for the b-roll duration if the timeline is magnetic and you cannot do a three-point edit. If fine trimming is supported for timeline clips, use waveforms and echo to adjust b-roll duration until lipsynch is aligned on talking head segments. Mute the embedded audio so that only movie1.wav is audible.If things go very bad, reimport the previously saved movie1.AVI and start again. Export as movie2

3, Start timeline 2 and import movie2 to add music if required.

Here is a similar process for Windows Movie Maker: [video=youtube;_TydLcruzyU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TydLcruzyU[/video]

Last edited:
Hi Rodney,

I have been checking around.

1. Courses. I have found three courses with SUSS CET module courses on Multimedia. I am recommended with MTD205 Audio Tehnology, MTD207e Video Technology, MTD301 Audio and Video Production Techniques. I hope my choice on the MTD301 Audio and Video Production Technique is correct. It covers both Video and Audio. If I am accepted it will start in July end in Sep.

2. I tried to look at what I have Nikon Viewer NX2 and Olympus Viewer 3 finding the video capability and could not make much headway. At least I understand the Storyboard in Nikon is for still photos made into video and it is not what i want. Olympus Viewer 3 can play the video, but I have not find out how to edit with it.

3. I look around the web sites and found a low cost Wondershare Filmora that I can bring in multiple video and make it into movie and able to merge the two together and become one movie. That is all I have found out and able to do so far.

The Movie maker Tutorial is ultimately i want to achieve and it seem so easy the way it shows. I understand the workflow but still do not know how to do it with any of the software yet.

Which part is the B-Roll which you also mentioned in your explanation. Still do not understand what the B-Roll does.

Cnngrats on your enrolment! I'm sure the experience will be both fun and enriching.

As for Filmora, it does not seem to support more than one layer of video and it is not free. I would argue that if there is a price tag, an NLE better have multitrack support. Afterall, Davinci is free!

Windows Moviemaker is a free software so do download it. However, if the course you sign up uses Premiere Pro, you may be left very frustrated with Windows Moviemaker. (or any other non Adobe NLE in fact) The temptation is to cave-in and buy PPCC.
No matter which NLE you choose to buy, the important thing to take away from the course is the concept of NLE, layers, transport, types of cuts. Once you understand how a timeline of an interview looks like, you can reverse engineer the same results using lesser NLEs.
B-roll is video or photos used to replace talking head without replacing the audio track of the interview. The rule of thumb is "show the talk, not the talker". For example, if an interviewee talks about a church camp, show some photos taken at the camp when he mentions the activities. By replacing talking head with slow pans and slow zooms of photographs (These subtle animation are known as Ken Burns Effects) you will not increase the length of the duration but you will add production value to your video.
In the Windows Movie Maker tutorial, the B-rolls are the inserts of still photos. I'm not sure if Window Moviemaker allows you to keyframe the scale of still images. but there seem to be some workarounds. If you have an ipad or iphone, buying LumaFusion from the app store will be your best $20 spent. You will have the power to edit professional looking videos in your iOS device.
Pixelan seen to have a ken burms plug in for Moviemaker.
[video=youtube;eeAXLmAmhpg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeAXLmAmhpg[/video]

Last edited:
Hi Rodney,

I managed to down loaded the correct Davinci Version 12 beta. The Version 14 cannot be installed. What worries me are the rich features available on the software. I can only know more after reading the available tutions on the web and after attending the class.

I also found a summary from Softonic I guess provide their recommendation on Video Editing software.

$Capture.jpg

Cnngrats on your enrolment! I'm sure the experience will be both fun and enriching.

As for Filmora, it does not seem to support more than one layer of video and it is not free. I would argue that if there is a price tag, an NLE better have multitrack support. Afterall, Davinci is free!

Windows Moviemaker is a free software so do download it. However, if the course you sign up uses Premiere Pro, you may be left very frustrated with Windows Moviemaker. (or any other non Adobe NLE in fact) The temptation is to cave-in and buy PPCC.
No matter which NLE you choose to buy, the important thing to take away from the course is the concept of NLE, layers, transport, types of cuts. Once you understand how a timeline of an interview looks like, you can reverse engineer the same results using lesser NLEs.
B-roll is video or photos used to replace talking head without replacing the audio track of the interview. The rule of thumb is "show the talk, not the talker". For example, if an interviewee talks about a church camp, show some photos taken at the camp when he mentions the activities. By replacing talking head with slow pans and slow zooms of photographs (These subtle animation are known as Ken Burns Effects) you will not increase the length of the duration but you will add production value to your video.
In the Windows Movie Maker tutorial, the B-rolls are the inserts of still photos. I'm not sure if Window Moviemaker allows you to keyframe the scale of still images. but there seem to be some workarounds. If you have an ipad or iphone, buying LumaFusion from the app store will be your best $20 spent. You will have the power to edit professional looking videos in your iOS device.
Pixelan seen to have a ken burms plug in for Moviemaker.
[video=youtube;eeAXLmAmhpg]

Hi just gotten interest in video editing and am thinking of getting Filmora for a start. I tried Davinci Resolve 14. It’s a powerful tool but it seems too heavy for my old iMac as it tends to lag a lot. Since I am just starting hence not really ready to invest into new PC etc. Filmora seems pretty budget for a one time payment for lifetime use. Is there any other editing software for beginners?