How do I reduce the file size of a photo?

Kangnie

Feb 18, 2010
Singapore
I'm using a D5000 and I shoot in JPEG mode, each photo is about 5MB in size. Is there any way I can reduce the file size? I usually only post my photos up to my blog, so with each photo being 5mb, it takes me a long time to upload it to Flickr and Photobucket, plus flickr puts a limit to the total file size of photos I can upload each month.

I know there's a file conversion function in Nikon's ViewNX, but I haven't tried converting to a lower quality. Does it significantly reduces the photo quality? Can anyone teach me how to reduce file size without significantly reducing the photo quality? Or is there any software that you recommend I should use?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

can u reduce the file size in your camera? lesser megapixels, lower quality settings.

You can do the followings:

1. Reduce size

2. Reduce colours; 256 colours to 128 colours

3. Reduce the saved quality

reduce the file size is throw away data about the photos, it of course will reduce the quality of photos, just that you have to find a balancing point where it is acceptable.

the usually method is scale down the image size, apply unsharp mask, strip off exif, save in a higher compression ratio. when do it right you can have a 600x400pixel image at around 100kb.

You can consider using another program, irfanview.

It is free, does what you want and does it faster than the Nikon software.

You can set the format in your camera. For canon you can set it large, medium or small. so.. yea :bsmilie:

In View NX, go to FILE, select CONVET FILES, check CHECK THE IMAGE SIZE. From here you can select the desired size - you only need to change one side as the other is automatically changed by the program. For web hosting, 800 pix on the long side is generally adequate.

Do note that jpeg image once changed, cannot be reverted. You would want to make a duplicate of the image before reducing the size. You may want to consider shooting in RAW in future as all changes can be reverted.

any reduction in file size will usually result in some amount of loss of quality.

but you can either:

1) resize photo to smaller

2) save at lower quality setting

in fact, i always do #1 for antyhing i upload to the net.. why would you want to post up a full size picture online anyways?

depends on how big you wan the photo to appear on your blog, then change the image size accordingly before you upload.

for example, if i wan to upload to Facebook, i will resize the photos to longest side 704pixel first (the maximum allowed pixel in Facebook), then apply some sharpening if needed before i upload, the usual file size will become <300kb per file, greatly reduced uploading time.

for webpage purposes, i don't think you need to upload full resolution photos, normally about 600x400 pixel is more than enough.

Hey bro u can try this software Free Image Converter.:thumbsup:

I do notice different version of Nikon software varies when converting files...When I used Nikon Capture 4 Editor, it seems like very little data is lost and the Jpeg being converted is about few Mbs. However, when use NX2 to convert files, the output image is usually less than 500Kb which is very good for online uploads....an example is attached below for you as reference...I can't reli spot any drop of quality if compare the output file generated by NX2 and Editor though....I might be wrong... But anyway, no C&C on this pls:bsmilie:

1028x683 @518K for this...some other online portals rquired even smaller dimension and thus, smaller size than this...
27009_371227492433_590982433_3651650_5000297_n.jpg

Last edited:
But anyway, no C&C on this pls:bsmilie:

1028x683 @518K for this...some other online portals rquired even smaller dimension and thus, smaller size than this...
27009_371227492433_590982433_3651650_5000297_n.jpg

but this photo is 720 x 478 pixel wor... and only 74kb.. :bsmilie::bsmilie::dunno:

but this photo is 720 x 478 pixel wor... and only 74kb.. :bsmilie::bsmilie::dunno:

I linked this from my facebook...haha...so it's not 1028x683...sorry for the confusion.... I juz included the file size for resolution 1028x683 and show u this pic with smaller dimension 720x478 at even smaller file size for easy upload...anyway, you still get a small size file to upload:cool:

Use Adobe Photoshop to reduce the resolution..

You can simply use irfanview, there's a "Save for web" option.

I linked this from my facebook...haha...so it's not 1028x683...sorry for the confusion.... I juz included the file size for resolution 1028x683 and show u this pic with smaller dimension 720x478 at even smaller file size for easy upload...anyway, you still get a small size file to upload:cool:

How do you like a picture from FB ? you cant use the normal like right ?...