GUIDELINES when posting Review Threads

ed9119

Staff member
Mar 11, 2002
Singapore
www.walkeast.com
Review Section of Clubsnap is meant for Clubsnappers to post THEIR OWN REVIEWS on photography and related equipment.

1. Title or Name your threads accordingly so that CS'ers know what to expect in the thread (eg. "Review of Canon 1Ds III" or "Leica M9.2 Review" or "Field Test of D3x III" )

2. Reviews should start with any disclaimers or qualifiers so that viewer expectations are properly managed from Post 1 onwards Eg
- "There will be no-pixel peeping in this review" or
- "I got the camera barely 2 hours ago and will need to return it before sundown tomorrow" or
- "I am by all accounts a weekend shooter who just likes shooting and have tech-phobia" or
- "I have blah blah blah state-of-the-art imaging software, blah blah blah hardware , shoot only in RAW and I inspect images pixel by pixel .... by day when I am not prowling CS, I am a neurotic Phd who works as a nuclear physicist with access to pixel splicing equiptment..." or
- "I shoot only XMM portraits"

3. Some technical information would be nice even if its a cut and paste job try to get it from manufacturer's website

4. Will be nice but optional... wall chart testing various functions or features of the camera eg... displaying 100% crops of same image at different ISOs (if no tripod or remote just set the shutter to release with a 2 or 10 sec timer) ....

5. Comment and give feedback on what you like and not like about the equipment being reviewed. Talk about what you wished was different or should be included/excluded in the next model or the next firmware update

6 . Keep kopitiam, off-topic and TCSS posts under control....... you do not want visitors to your thread to go through mountains of gibberish when looking for information. Off-topic posts will be deleted

7. Encourage OTHER's feedback and points of views

8. You are NOT OBLIGED to pander to fellow CS'ers requests if you do not feel a need to (eg. "Can do a 1min night exposures at f1.8 , 3.5, 5.6 8.0 and 11.0 at ISOs 100/200/400/800/1600/3200 and all the permutations in between ?")

9. Be polite..... DO NOT call manufacturers nasty names if they do not include certain features in the equiptment or when you get frustrated . But do mention the issues you have

10. Be honest to yourself and your audience. The value of and respect for a review lies in its neutrality and un-biased comments

11. Keep the Peace within the thread as best as you can. Its YOUR thread and your review

12. Report flames, trolls, trouble-makers, egg-throwers etc ....

13. Review threads are not I LOVE {name of Brand} threads .... some readers will surely complain about this or that feature or the smallest little thing..... respect their views because you cant do much about it if its about certain features...... DIRECT ATTACKS on the manufacturer is a no-no.... see #12 above

14. Post lots of images in varying conditions, locales, settings and ENCOURAGE other owners to post THEIR images too

15. Starting Threads to post links to OTHER reviews on other sites and contributing nothing else material or significant is a NO NO. eg. "Hey guys! Check out the review on ABC here (link) " and ending the thread .... such threads will be deleted. However AFTER you have posted your review, it is OK to post related review links to augment your own efforts

16. Clubsnap Admin and Mod team will delete/disallow 'Review' threads and posts that violate the spirit of putting up reviews Eg Ninja selling, disguised retailing, dissemination of untruths, brand/product smearing campaign, brand/product assasinations etc etc etc

Last edited:
Reactions: stephaniechew
Reminder:
"....15. Starting Threads to post links to OTHER reviews on other sites and contributing nothing else material or significant is a NO NO. eg. "Hey guys! Check out the review on ABC here (link) " and ending the thread .... such threads will be deleted. However AFTER you have posted your review, it is OK to post related review links to augment your own efforts"

--------------------------

A few threads have not been allowed through already because of this..... EVEN IF these links are to YOUR own blogs reviewing the item(s) ..... you can duplicate your blog entries and photos into a new review thread ...... but please of course, do not plagarize other people's reviews and submit their reviews as your own effort.

at least 20 of you guys over the last month alone must be wondering why your 'review' threads were not allowed in this section..... read below cut n paste from the guidelines

"15. Starting Threads to post links to OTHER reviews on other sites and contributing nothing else material or significant is a NO NO. eg. "Hey guys! Check out the review on ABC here (link) " and ending the thread .... such threads will be deleted. However AFTER you have posted your review, it is OK to post related review links to augment your own efforts"

Reactions: stephaniechew
other points

- if u have noticed, incomplete or half-baked reviews will be deleted

- please dispense with (no need) 'unboxing' ceremony pics and get straight into the construction of your review

Last edited:
Who can I speak to about my review? I wrote one and posted it just but was unaware I could not write a 2nd page yet... And the bulk of the details are on the 2nd page.

Aiyaa... My review also half-baked, as I though I can separate the review into several parts (Introduction, user experience, feedback from myself, etc...)

If you need me to rewrite it, let me know. Sorry for the trouble...

at least 20 of you guys over the last month alone must be wondering why your 'review' threads were not allowed in this section..... read below cut n paste from the guidelines

"15. Starting Threads to post links to OTHER reviews on other sites and contributing nothing else material or significant is a NO NO. eg. "Hey guys! Check out the review on ABC here (link) " and ending the thread .... such threads will be deleted. However AFTER you have posted your review, it is OK to post related review links to augment your own efforts"

I see betting links too in this forum. forgot where I saw it. Probably in one of those comments.