Fungus on Lens

WongCL

Dec 26, 2005
Upper Paya Lebar
Hi all, just wanna tap on your knowledge on this.

My lens has fungus and cannot be cleaned (when for cleaning..some lens were cleaned and others cannot be cleaned).

My lens is 85 mm 1.4. Is it worth replacing the back lens since I intend to sell it if it is repaired. Where can I get it repaired besides Nikon? Is Nikon charges reasonable?

Thanks a million

Hi all, just wanna tap on your knowledge on this.

My lens has fungus and cannot be cleaned (when for cleaning..some lens were cleaned and others cannot be cleaned).

My lens is 85 mm 1.4. Is it worth replacing the back lens since I intend to sell it if it is repaired. Where can I get it repaired besides Nikon? Is Nikon charges reasonable?

Thanks a million

It is most likely the fungus is inside the lens which the person find it not profitable to spend the time to do it. That said whether outside or inside the lens the fungus may have eaten into the lens' coating for which there is no remedy. If the fungus is at the back end at the lens mount being a small size any fungus where minor or major would impact the quality of the image. If Nikon is willing to replace this part of the lens then there is hope if not it is as good as a paper weight I doubt you will have buyers if you're selling. Fyi Nikon has stopped selling spare parts many years ago and this is mainly hardware not likely lens element parts to 3rd. party repairers. It would be wise to invest in a dry cabinet to protect your lenses and cameras in future. Worst case senario is take it as a loss and learn from it. Fungus on the outside is easily cleaned diy using alcohol or methonol ( not thinner) from hardware shop but if you are a snob then buy IPA ( isoprophyl alcohol) .

thank you bro for ur advice...i guess i will not take it as write off..

It will depend on how severe is the fungus. I have cleaned a lot of lenses and most of the time, the owner is not able to tell the difference between new and sfter cleaning.