Eizo FlexScan EV3895 37.5 inch Ultrawide curved monitor – for general use?

DSolZ

Mar 6, 2010
If you want an Eizo curved ultrawide monitor, then you have to consider Eizo Flexscan EV3895.
This is Eizo’s first 37.5 inch ultrawide, curved UWQHD+ (3840 x 1600) monitor.

This not the ColorEdge series from Eizo which is used for colour critical work. Since this is not the ColorEdge series, the monitor doesn’t come with uniformity correction, and it does not spot a build-in display calibrator. So why am I reviewing this monitor on Clubsnap?
Due to the current COVID 19 situation, a lot of people are working from home, hence it makes sense to look for a general use monitor that combines work and play (light gaming, photography and video editing).

Summary
Pros
  • Eizo Quality (made in Japan), stylish design, sexy curves (the white version is gorgeous)
  • 5 years warranty – This is very important. I have a monitor that died on me on the 4th year.
  • Ultra-wide, 37.5 inch IPS Panel – more real estate working with multiple application, display video timeline.
  • Ergonomics - Curved display is a necessity for a better view angle and ergonomics when working with ultra-wide screens. Also, the monitor stand is very sturdy and allows for a wide range of height, tilt and swivel adjustments
  • UWQHD+ - not 4K but pretty close
  • Wide gamut (covers 100% sRGB, 94% DCI-P3)
  • Supports USB C power delivery (85w) – this means less cables running around
  • Multi-computer support – allow one to connect up to 3 multiple video sources and display them on the same screen at the same time using Picture-by-Picture model.
  • Integrated KVM – this means when using Picture-by-Picture model, you can operate multiple computers with a single mouse and keyboard setup.
  • Have Eco mode
Cons
  • 60 Hz frame rate 5ms response - sufficient for office use but Eizo can do better
  • Speaker - this monitor has inbuild speaker but frankly it is not impressive. I find that I prefer my laptop speaker then the monitor speaker.
  • Price – well this is Eizo, so one would expect to pay a premium for the quality
Why is there a need for a Wide Gamut monitor?
A wide gamut monitor allows you visualize more colours from your photo then on limited sRGB or sub sRGB monitor. If you shoot in RAW format, which I think everyone should, the colour space of the raw file is much bigger than Adobe RGB. Lightroom and Photoshop support ProPhoto RGB which is a better match to RAW file colour space, which is bigger than Adobe RGB.
The colour space of professional printing paper is larger the sRGB. Adobe RGB on the other hand better covers the colour space of these printing paper. With a wide gamut monitor, you get to visualize better what the output from your print will look like.
If you don’t print, then sRGB might be sufficient.

Calibration
When calibrating this monitor, we need to turn off the EcoView settings which will change the brightness setting of the monitor based on ambient light.
I calibrate the screen to D50 and D65 Standard, (Luminance 100 cd, White Point 5000k, 6500k respectively, Black Point Native). Do note that I set black point to native in this case as I wanted more contrast. If you want to mimic the contrast of print paper, then you might want to set Black point to 0.4.
The delta E is less than 1 in most cases.

Last edited:
Gamut Volume
Form the comparison of the monitor and the Adobe RGB colour space, we can see that the gamut volume (1) of the monitor is pretty respectable. Comparing to the Adobe RGB colour space, the monitor can display more reds and yellows and less blues and greens.

Monitor D50 (wireframe) vs ARGB(Solid) Colour space

Monitor D65 (wireframe) vs ARGB(Solid) Colour space

The following chart shows the gamut volume difference between the monitor and the two printing papers that I like to use. My favourite have to be the Canson Infinity Baryta. As you can see the monitor does cover most of the paper’s color space.

Monitor D50 (wireframe) vs Canson Infinity Rag Photographique (Solid) Colour space

https://www.canson-infinity.com/en/e-academy/choosing-paper-canson-rag-photographique-310gsm

Monitor D50 (wireframe) vs Canson Infinity Baryta (Solid) Colour space

https://www.canson-infinity.com/en/products/baryta-photographique

Panel Uniformity
This monitor doesn’t have the uniformity of a ColorEdge series monitor (Flexscan monitors do not undergo DUE - Digital Uniformity Equalizer unlike ColorEdge monitors so it does not have the uniformity of a ColorEdge), but it is still pretty acceptable for a UltraWide monitor. I have seen worst. As seen from the chart below. The luminance differential as compare to the center is pretty ok except for the top left and top center where it hit 8-9% derivation.
White balance differential from the center is in the range of 100k.

Conclusion
If one is looking for a curve ultra-wide that can be used for work, photo and video editing, this monitor is a worthy candidate.

For work – the 37.5inch of real estate, USB-C power delivery, LAN port, Picture by Picture mode and KVM support allows one to connect work laptop via USB-C and at the same time display on the same monitor from your personal computer. Both work laptop and personal computer can be displayed simultaneously on the monitor using picture by picture mode. KVM allows one to work seamlessly between the two devices using a single mouse and keyboard.

For Photo and Video editing – the 37.5 inches of real estate, wide gamut allows one to easily work with multiple applications, displaying timelines and visualise colours more accurately.

For play – gaming might not be its strongest point, but regardless, 60Hz and 5 sec response time is totally fine for light gaming.

Other 38-inch monitors in the price range to consider are Dell Alienware AW3821dw and LG 38GN950. But these monitors do not have KVM and it does not have USB C power delivery.
Also, worth mentioning is the 40-inch Dell U4021QW which does support KVM up to 2 devices and USB power delivery.

Disclosure: EIZO has loaned me the FlexScan EV3895 for the purpose of this review. This is not a paid review.

Last edited: