Does street photography need to have human element

RajanVahjan

Aug 1, 2018
Does street photography need to have human element? I was kicked out from a street photography group because of posting a photo of street without human element in it.

Most photography genres really don't have very strict definitions, especially when it is something very broad such as street photography.
It is up to the discretion of admins of the particular group what boundaries they set so it's not really worth arguing about if you feel hard done by.
I'd say move on and give your own interpretation of what street photography means to you and don't be confined by a particular group's rigid definitions.
If you photographed a street scene deliberately void of life elements where one might expect to see it in an effort to show desolation or a different POV of a common scene, is it no longer street photography?

Do you want to share your picture?

Fun story: The art teacher in my school signed up for a studio photography course a while back. She went and got kicked out because she "didn't shoot the portraits the way the instructor liked". They refunded her of course.

Perhaps there are too many preconceived notions of what is and isn't a particular genre of photography. If you ask me, street photography isn't really as defined as other genres of photography. I don't see why a street photography must encapsulate human elements. However, do keep in mind that the view is subjective and will vary between different people.

Ultimately, what's what is still defined by the photographer. The photographer has the clearest idea of what is supposed to be in the photo and what isn't.

Why bother what a group thinks? Do what you feel is the direction you want to go. Challenge the norm. That is art. But challenging the norm always means you will feel alone.

if you got kicked out just because of that, then its not worth joining or being a part of...street photography basically means photos taken outside of a studio with subjects in their natural environment, not curated or staged. subjects can be anything living or otherwise, like an empty street (no pun intended)...whatever that captures your curiosity and interest, that you want to capture to convey a feeling...even stuff like still life, random objects found on the street, in a cafe...etc...when you are outside the studio, everything is game, living or otherwise...