D800 firmware 1.11 breaks Sigma lens AF

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxerfan

Oct 19, 2008
Singapore
I just updated my D800 to firmware 1.11, and it broke the Sigma Art35 lens AF.
AF is working fine with Nikon lenses.
Anyone kena this problem before?

I do not have the Sigma USB dock, if a kind soul is willing to loan me the dock to (or help me) update the Sigma lens firmware, kindly PM me. Thanks!
If no choice, I'll fall back to the 1.10 firmware.

I read that it works for D850, that is you take the battery out and wait a few minutes and then reboot the camera then sigma lens will work again.

If you rolled back the firmware to 1.10 and autofocus for the Sigma lens works again, then you have confirmed that you need update the Sigma lens firmware. You can either get the USB dock, or bring it to Sigma Service Centre to update

I read that it works for D850, that is you take the battery out and wait a few minutes and then reboot the camera then sigma lens will work again.

battery out power down reboot doesn’t help

If you rolled back the firmware to 1.10 and autofocus for the Sigma lens works again, then you have confirmed that you need update the Sigma lens firmware. You can either get the USB dock, or bring it to Sigma Service Centre to update

yeah, i rolled back to 1.10 last night, and Art35 can AF again.

Just to close the loop, updated Sigma Art 35 lens to firmware 1.03 fixed the problem. It is now compatible with D800 firmware 1.11, and can AF properly.

Hi boxefan:

can you kindly send me the firmware ver 1.10 for the D800 if you still have it.
I updated to ver1.11 last week and then discover that many of my Sigma lens do not autofocus anymore.
I feel like an idiot after googling and found that this was a 2 years old problemo_O

I am new to clubsnap. Do I provide you with my email address now? Thank you in advance

According to the above discussion, it seems Nikon allows users to reverse the firmware update on their camera bodies.
I have no idea how you did it.
This is not always possible with some other brands.
In at least one other brand, once you have updated the camera to new firmware, you cannot revert to the old firmware (except maybe at the factory).
I thought updating firmware involves making a permanent change to the programmable ROM chip.
Manufacturers warn users to use fresh battery so that it does not die during the update process, which may make the body unusable.

But if Sigma ART lens is such a hassle, then why pay money to suffer?
You pay and pay again.
First you pay money to buy the lens.
Then you pay money to buy the USB dock, so that you can make the lens focus properly.
The USB dock costs money about USD$60.
Maybe the USB dock should be FREE, bundled with the Sigma ART lens
Including an apology by Sigma for all the trouble caused to the customer.
Then you have to suffer the laborious process of calibrating.
If you have a Sigma 18 to 35 ART lens, you have to adjust the lens calibration (maybe a total of 16 times).
At 18mm, 24mm, 28mm, 35mm focal lengths at 4 focus distances 0.28M, 0.35M, 0.5M and infinity.
And what if you have another camera body to "calibrate" with the lens all over again. Ouch.

When you pay a lot of $$$ for a lens, you expect it to work properly first time, every time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.