CD Exploded inside the CD-RW

Status
Not open for further replies.

rty

Staff member
Jan 19, 2002
Singapore
Has anyone ever encountered this experience, i.e. CD-R exploded inside the CD-ROM drive? It happened to me last night inside my Lite-On CD-RW 52x32x52x (model LTR-52327S). I inserted a disk and viewed the content of it on my screen, then I heard a normal whirling sound and suddenly a loud bang. The PC is OK but when I opened the disk tray, the CD inside has been shattered into pieces.

I did a Google search and found that this thing happens.

http://www.sciforums.com/archive/index.php/t-22242
http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/topic/38744-1.html
http://www.techwarelabs.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=7563&view=next

I am not sure if the drive can still be used or not but I am throwing it away. Anyone wants to have it for a door stop or for any thing, please let me know, but use it at your own risk.

wow CD exploding! :eek: do u have a pic of the shattered CD to show us?
I wouldn't mind a extra CD-RW though ;)
Care to pass it to me? maybe i could try it if it does explode in my PC.

One of those MI missions? :bsmilie:

Anyway, have u tried another CD to see whether it will explode again?

maybe a poor quality CD-R was used. try using a branded one instead. it will be a waste just to throw away the CD writer ...

OH WOW :bigeyes: :eek: :bigeyes: :eek:

yeah.. should take pictures... it'll be an interesting subject...

sorry haha but I think about taking pictures of everything... like recently I cut my finger quite deeply as I broke a glass cup, and with my blood flowing down my arm I was happily clicking away at the injury... that is, until my mother came along and screamed :sweat:

Toomz, I'll be glad to give the CD-RW drive to you if you really want to experiment with it, but if anything bad happens, don't blame me hor. Just PM me if you still want it.

The brand of the CD-R that exploded is TDK (CD-R74 650MB). It was 4 yrs old disk but the Lite-ON CD-RW drive is less than 3 months old. I have taken out all the broken pieces by opening the bottom cover but the warranty seal was broken because of that. I didn't bother to install the drive back because I am not willing to take any risk but if you are brave enough to try it, PM me and I'll give you my address for immediate collection. :)

Vynara said:
OH WOW :bigeyes: :eek: :bigeyes: :eek:

yeah.. should take pictures... it'll be an interesting subject...

No, I didn't take any photo of it. The bang was quite loud. I was shocked and couldn't believe my eyes when I opened the tray. My first reaction was to clean up the mess as soon as possible.

rty said:
No, I didn't take any photo of it. The bang was quite loud. I was shocked and couldn't believe my eyes when I opened the tray. My first reaction was to clean up the mess as soon as possible.

bang was quite loud? goodness, I thought it was a click or something. :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

...The CD may have got out of the centre catch (for those slide tray type CD) and then at the high speed hit the internals of the CD-ROM and said bye bye in a shattering manner.....

rgds,
me

wow! :bigeyes:
that was serious man....
i thought liteon is a gd brand for cd writers?
maybe the disc 4 year old cannot take the fast read speed.
Hope the same don't happen to my new MSI CR52M.

And also,i bet that ur mailbox must be full now. :bsmilie: ;)

Oh oh, next time i hear whizzzzing sound in my CD writer, i will have the tendency to think of this incident ... :sweat:

happened to me once. think the cd wasn't place properly and it started spinning. poom... everything shattered inside. took out the writer, force open the tray and poured everything out. chuck it back in and workin like before... :dunno:

Watched a show where they put a CDROM to test by spinning it at very high speeds. Everything was recorded on video and could see that as the speed increased, the CD started warping until it eventually shattered and exploded.

Sorry to hear that the CD banged inside your CDRW.

rty, my advice is to hold on to it till the next computer exhibition, there most likely would be a trade in for your CDRW for a new one at discounted price, :)

espn said:
Sorry to hear that the CD banged inside your CDRW.

rty, my advice is to hold on to it till the next computer exhibition, there most likely would be a trade in for your CDRW for a new one at discounted price, :)

Thanks, but I have bought myself a new CD writer at Challenger this afternoon: A lower speed one. :) Anyway, I have made arrangement with Toomz to hand it over to him. Apparently the CD writer didn't love me and I hope it finds a true love with Toomz and live happily ever after with him. :)

chongkm said:
happened to me once. think the cd wasn't place properly and it started spinning. poom... everything shattered inside. took out the writer, force open the tray and poured everything out. chuck it back in and workin like before... :dunno:

So I wasn't the first one in Singapore. I did a search in HWZ to see if anyone has ever reported such incident but couldn't find any thread about it so I thought I was the 1st person in Singapore having encountered this case. Anyway, what is the brand and model of your drive? And the speed? 52x? 48x?

rty said:
So I wasn't the first one in Singapore. I did a search in HWZ to see if anyone has ever reported such incident but couldn't find any thread about it so I thought I was the 1st person in Singapore having encountered this case. Anyway, what is the brand and model of your drive? And the speed? 52x? 48x?

No you are not the first I'm sure. Those new 48-52x CDROMs spins in excess of 10000 RPM, which is very very fast. Most harddisks are only 7200rpm and only high end ones go up to 10000 rpm. But the platters for these HD are made to high specs to endure the stress. Your CDR may not be.

Since the CD spins so fast and is under a lot of stress, any manufacturing defects in the CD will cause the CD to fall apart and shatter. Likewise, its a bad idea to stick stickers or labels on the CD if it makes it "lopsided", since it will not spin evenly, and may also shatter.

geez... my current cd-rw drive only at 48x24x48x (TEAC).. hmmm maybe it's not working fast enuf to bomb up my cheapo cdrs haha...

I bet some abstract pics of shattered cdrs from rty's LiteOn drive would be quite interesting. I'll sure post them up for all to comment :D

Status
Not open for further replies.