Canon EOS SLR system NEWBIE guide.

MS Color (Main) is going at 1363 for CC payment - 18-55mm kit, tripod, cumpler, screen protector,8gb SD

I'm thinking of getting 7D kit I (15-85IS USM) , plus EF S55-250 IS lens. I like to take picture of family, street , animal , marco and nite scenary, I'm still learning but I prefer to invest a bit so it can last for a few years. Will appreicate if anyone could advice the mentioned items is sufficient? any comment are welcome.

Last edited:
7D is full frame or not a full frame ?

Can anyone suggest a good quality 3rd party 1.4x or 2x teleconverter I could use with my Canon 75-300 USM zoom lens? Thank you

Hi,

I'm considering getting a Canon 550D as my first DSLR to start out with but am unsure about which kit/lens I should go for.

I was initially considering Kit I with the 18-55mm lens, but after checking out some of the recommended shops, I'm now considering Kit II instead since it has a longer reach.
But I've also been recommended to get the body with a Tamron 18-200mm lens instead.
Another possibility is the Kit I + EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS but I'm not sure if the wider aperture size would make a big difference? This last kit was suggested by a friend who is in Japan, but I'm not sure if the Canon DSLRs in Japan are any different from those sold in SG as they are under different names (KISS X4 in Japan vs EOS 550D in SG)?

Thanks in advance!

Cross posting from another thread because I thought this might be a better place to post my query.

I'm actually thinking of getting the EOS60D as a starter into DSLR.. budget constraints leh..

But was considering between EOS 60D KIT (EF S18-55) or (EF 18-135mm). Which would be a better choice? I assume 18-135mm isn't really a strictly telephoto zoom lens right?

As I like to capture shots sometimes from a distance, was also considering this telephoto zoom lens EF70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. Is this wise?

Any expert to help on this?

Cross posting from another thread because I thought this might be a better place to post my query.

I'm actually thinking of getting the EOS60D as a starter into DSLR.. budget constraints leh..

But was considering between EOS 60D KIT (EF S18-55) or (EF 18-135mm). Which would be a better choice? I assume 18-135mm isn't really a strictly telephoto zoom lens right?

As I like to capture shots sometimes from a distance, was also considering this telephoto zoom lens EF70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. Is this wise?

Any expert to help on this?

70-300 is not that good i heard. But since you are on budget, why not you buy the 60D kit 1 first and then think whether you really need the extra reach? afterall there's only one lens on a camera at any one time. have fun with the camera as a starter and think about buying more lens later. the lens won't fly away mah. For me I got 60D body and tamron 17-50 non vc ver at 2150 (plus some cleaning kit). juz for your reference.

70-300 is not that good i heard. But since you are on budget, why not you buy the 60D kit 1 first and then think whether you really need the extra reach? afterall there's only one lens on a camera at any one time. have fun with the camera as a starter and think about buying more lens later. the lens won't fly away mah. For me I got 60D body and tamron 17-50 non vc ver at 2150 (plus some cleaning kit). juz for your reference.

Hmm, I was thinking then to probably get hold of the 60D Kit II (EF S18-135mm) or Kit III (EF S18-200mm). But seriously, how much different would the zoom be for both the lens indicated above?

Hmm, I was thinking then to probably get hold of the 60D Kit II (EF S18-135mm) or Kit III (EF S18-200mm). But seriously, how much different would the zoom be for both the lens indicated above?

Try them at the Canon showroom at Vivo City, then decide. How often do you need a 200mm zoom (or 135mm for that matter)?

Personally I went for Kit III, sold the 18-200mm lens new (that was a purely economic decision), and bought a 15-85mm (great reviews plus recommendations from friends). The 15-85mm is a great walkabout lens, if you asked me.

Last edited:
I just got my Canon 550D 18-55mm at MS Color for $1199 (free screen protector, filter, 8gb SD card, EOS bag and 550D User Guide + free tripod). Quite a good deal. Price has fallen a fair bit from the $1350 in June 2010.

now im bleeding ... i got my eos 550d last year with kit 2 lens .. (and now i refused to look at prices anyway ..) haha ..

anyway it seems like alot fo accessories to be get and can get ..
am thinking of signing up for the canon photography (basic) .. beneficial ?

When getting lenses for Canon, do I have to consider of the lens have AF motors, and if the body has in-built AF motors?

For example, the Nikon D5100 and D80 and below do not have in-built motors and if I want to auto-focus, I need to get AFS lenses and so on.

Thanks.

No need....one good thing about Canon's system is that the modern EF/EFS lenses have motors built into them. The main difference is EF-S is only to be used with crop bodies.

gundamseed84 said:
No need....one good thing about Canon's system is that the modern EF/EFS lenses have motors built into them. The main difference is EF-S is only to be used with crop bodies.

Cropped bodies as in both 1.6 and 1.3?
I'd not get FF anytime soon. Ha!! :p

now im bleeding ... i got my eos 550d last year with kit 2 lens .. (and now i refused to look at prices anyway ..) haha ..

anyway it seems like alot fo accessories to be get and can get ..
am thinking of signing up for the canon photography (basic) .. beneficial ?

i've just sign up for the 05/01/2012 session :D