Been out for too long...

Snoweagle

Jan 26, 2005
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Hi everyone, I've been out from photography for years since I got married and my son was born and have absolutely no time for my old fave hobby. Lately I've just been a little starting off back my passion, though not as much as before.

My equipment has been sitting in the dry cabinet ever since, only out a couple of time to do function tests and fortunately still ok, but I've been considering replacing my aging 14-year old 5D. Lately have been browsing through and found that now there are RF systems, but I'm not keen to change to these as I still have my own EF lenses.

Want to ask if anyone have any recommendation? I still want a full frame DSLR but have not been keeping up with the latest trends so can school me on this also? Is full frame mirrorless they way to go now or regular full frame DSLRs are phasing out? I was looking at 6D Mk II as I don't wish to shell out too much anymore for 5D Mk IV or even 5DS/5DS R.

Thanks all. :)

Bro, I sold my 5D3 just about a mth ago and got the R6 with the EF to R adapter and been using my old EF lenses. Maybe you can get a used EOS R or RP for a start with the adaptor. Good to see you back in here. :D

Bro, I sold my 5D3 just about a mth ago and got the R6 with the EF to R adapter and been using my old EF lenses. Maybe you can get a used EOS R or RP for a start with the adaptor. Good to see you back in here. :D

Thanks for the recommendation. So I presume the R system is the way to go now, cheapest is the EOS RP with R6 being the costliest. Might consider the RP if really getting the R system but previously I went Funan and asked Alan Photo, was quoted $154 for the standard mount adapter EF- EOS R. I also saw there's a more expensive ring mount version at $300+.

My budget was not to cross $3K for camera body, batt grip and the adapter (for R system case). But if needed to, maybe $3.5K max.

can look around carousell. there are some decent offers once in a while.

and yah.. nice thing about canon is that if you have existing EF lenses, the EF-R adapter will allow full functionality. so you can save a fair bit on lenses rather than going the whole hog and buy RF lenses which are still pretty expensive at the moment (the really good ones).

can look around carousell. there are some decent offers once in a while.

and yah.. nice thing about canon is that if you have existing EF lenses, the EF-R adapter will allow full functionality. so you can save a fair bit on lenses rather than going the whole hog and buy RF lenses which are still pretty expensive at the moment (the really good ones).

If I were to get the EOS RP, I'd definitely get the adapter as have to use with my existing EF lenses. That being said about the mirrorless system, are regular flip mirror system phasing out?

If I were to get the EOS RP, I'd definitely get the adapter as have to use with my existing EF lenses. That being said about the mirrorless system, are regular flip mirror system phasing out?
It looks like that. Canon has stopped producing certain EF lenses and announced the RF equivalents:
So far what emerges:
R5 is the official successor of 5D4, there won't be any 5D5. R6 replaces the 6D. The next 1 series body will be mirrorless, speculations about the features are running hot. Not sure whether there might be any APS-C R-mount body. Some rumors here:
Nikon and the Z mount show a similar pattern, not following there.

Last edited:
It looks like that. Canon has stopped producing certain EF lenses and announced the RF equivalents:
So far what emerges:
R5 is the official successor of 5D4, there won't be any 5D5. R6 replaces the 6D. The next 1 series body will be mirrorless, speculations about the features are running hot. Not sure whether there might be any APS-C R-mount body. Some rumors here:
Nikon and the Z mount show a similar pattern, not following there.

Excellent explanation there! Had a nice read to get a better understanding. Seems like the EF lineup is being discontinued gradually but I still have 3 of them.

So going the R system should be the correct path now but R5 and R6 is not within my budget as now concentrating more on family so photography is now more casual-going than ‘chionging’ years back. The options I have now is R and RP, so R makes a more ideal choice after some consideration.

In another note, if R5 succeeds 5D4 and R6 succeeds 6D (or 6D2), then any succeeds the 5DS/5DS R? Read from the article about a rumoured R1 which I suppose might succeed the 1DX series.

In another note, if R5 succeeds 5D4 and R6 succeeds 6D (or 6D2), then any succeeds the 5DS/5DS R? Read from the article about a rumoured R1 which I suppose might succeed the 1DX series.

Yes there is an upcoming body based on R5 that has a very high Megapixel count. It will be the direct replacement for 5DS. There is also another body based on R5 that's coming out, the R5c that will be more focused towards videographers.

Yes there is an upcoming body based on R5 that has a very high Megapixel count. It will be the direct replacement for 5DS. There is also another body based on R5 that's coming out, the R5c that will be more focused towards videographers.

I see, thanks for the info! But these are all targetted at professionals. The R5 body is already in the $6K mark.

I see, thanks for the info! But these are all targetted at professionals. The R5 body is already in the $6K mark.
Yes, I would think that with the EOS R you will be fine for a long time. We might even see features being added via firmware update in future, instead of releasing the next model of the body. But that's just a hunch of mine. If you need a small setup you can add an RF prime, for everything else your lenses will work well with adapter.

Yes, I would think that with the EOS R you will be fine for a long time. We might even see features being added via firmware update in future, instead of releasing the next model of the body. But that's just a hunch of mine. If you need a small setup you can add an RF prime, for everything else your lenses will work well with adapter.

Yes and I intend to use it for many years to come. My current 5D is still working OK, except the LCD is starting to degrade and the rubber covers for the ports on the side are starting to disintegrate as well. It has been changed before but after some years, will still degrade. Also knew that Canon long ago no longer have anymore parts for the 5D.

Coming to another question, I have extension tubes as well. Will using it together with the EF to EOS R adapter affect macro usage?

Coming to another question, I have extension tubes as well. Will using it together with the EF to EOS R adapter affect macro usage?
I don't have any of these components, so here is my educated guess based on what I red online:
For 'automatic' tubes (with electrical contacts) it should work in the same way, the macro adapter extends the electronics of the EF macro lens 1:1 to EF-R adapter. In that case, the additional ring on the EF-R adapter can be set to 'adjust aperture', could make shooting easier.
For 'dumb' tubes you need to set the camera to 'shoot without lens'.

I don't have any of these components, so here is my educated guess based on what I red online:
For 'automatic' tubes (with electrical contacts) it should work in the same way, the macro adapter extends the electronics of the EF macro lens 1:1 to EF-R adapter. In that case, the additional ring on the EF-R adapter can be set to 'adjust aperture', could make shooting easier.
For 'dumb' tubes you need to set the camera to 'shoot without lens'.

Hmmm, I suppose have to try it out personally to know. That adapter with the ring costs over $100 more than the standard adapter, but I'm totally new to the mirrorless system so there's a lot of exploring and studying to do before jumping in.

My impression of the EOS R cameras is a hybrid between a prosumer PowerShot (because of the EVF) in a DSLR body with a full frame sensor.

I would agrue that you should go for eos r6 instead, at the minimum. Eye AF and IBIS are game changers, with the former changing the way you shoot completely (no joke) and the latter enabling videoing for all lenses so you can even use lenses without IS for video now. The difference between R and R6 is like the last generation of film vs the first generation of dslr. There is also other quality of life improvements as well.

The basic eos r adapter is essentially just a spacer with pass through contacts. You can use whatever you have before (extension tubes, raynox, whatever) and it will work exactly the same way as it did on a dslr.

I would agrue that you should go for eos r6 instead, at the minimum. Eye AF and IBIS are game changers, with the former changing the way you shoot completely (no joke) and the latter enabling videoing for all lenses so you can even use lenses without IS for video now. The difference between R and R6 is like the last generation of film vs the first generation of dslr. There is also other quality of life improvements as well.

The basic eos r adapter is essentially just a spacer with pass through contacts. You can use whatever you have before (extension tubes, raynox, whatever) and it will work exactly the same way as it did on a dslr.

Thanks for the suggestion bro, but the R6 is a little off my budget at $3K+ for body only. If I add batt grip, extra batt and the adapter, will be over $4K. No doubt better than R, but budget is also important. I just need a replacement for my 14 years old 5D and plan to use it for many years to come.

Why do you need battery grip and spare batt?

I prefer to use it with batt grip as with my current 5D since day one I bought it and it's very useful to me. Spare batt would definitely be essential for the grip.
Coming from 5D with grip, no doubt the EOS R, even with grip, will feel tiny in your hands. Best you had to the shops for a 'manual check'.
If the battery grip is for better grip only, maybe have a look at L plates. I found them more useful than the battery grips and also easy to remove in the field if required (it just needs an Allen key).

Coming from 5D with grip, no doubt the EOS R, even with grip, will feel tiny in your hands. Best you had to the shops for a 'manual check'.
If the battery grip is for better grip only, maybe have a look at L plates. I found them more useful than the battery grips and also easy to remove in the field if required (it just needs an Allen key).

Thanks for the suggestion bro, I still prefer battery grip for the convenience and have been so used to using it. Having used in numerous events and wedding shoots, it just fits my needs.

No doubt the best is to head to the shops to get a feel, then will only know the ideal camera as I've not handled an EOS R system before.

Reactions: Octarine
Finally bought these today. Thanks for all the information!

A36B06A1-6179-419F-859D-67B8557396BA.jpeg