Back to Photography

darksideofthemoom

May 6, 2022
I am thinking of getting back to Photography and would like some advice on what would be a good camera or setup I need.

I have been taking pictures for awhile. Started with a Pentax P30T and Nikon F601 and to F801. When it went digital I got a D60 and later was using my D80 before COVID happens. So it's about 2 plus years I have not touched the camera.

I used my camera mostly to record my travel and people. The last lens I use was a Tamron 18-200mm which I almost never swap out.

Before COVID I did some traveling and a realised that my D80 is start to give some error on and off, and my Tamron is starting to have fungus on the lens.

So I am ”thinking” to get a new kit. But in addition to scenery and people, I want to try taking the moon and Milky Way, and also Macro photography.

Any recommendations? Thanks.

I was thinking of getting a Sony RX10 IV to replace my existing kit, but I am not sure if it will be good for Milky Way, stars and Macro photography?

Have you done some homework as in:
- Define budget (camera, lenses, tripod, other equipment)
- Define requirements (long exposure, close focus range)
- Options for additional equipment that might be required (filters, close-up lens)

You can read the detailed review of the Sony RX10 IV here: https://www.dpreview.com/products/sony/compacts/sony_dscrx10iv
It has been release 5 years ago (well before Covid, since you use this as reference), it's your call whether this model serves your purpose. Basically, all current cameras can technically do what you want to do. The limitations are with the photographer (skills) and any special equipment required (filters, special lenses ..)

I was thinking of getting a Sony RX10 IV to replace my existing kit, but I am not sure if it will be good for Milky Way, stars and Macro photography?

If you are thinking of astrophotography then you must familiarise yourself with the term iso invariance. Choose a camera that has this for reasons stated below article.

Other than this there are other costs to think about, it is likely you need to travel to remote places away from the city because of light pollution. Plus other things like tripod and bags. Many people buy high end camera bodies but have little left for lenses and things that you will need.

Last edited: