24-105L... is it worth the money?

24-105L as a walkaround lens... is it worth the money?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoky

Mar 17, 2004
Singapore
hoky.multiply.com
I'm looking for a good walkaround lens.
One of my options is the new 24-105L (without the flare).

Just wondering if it's worth the buy... if not, what do you propose?

I suppose if you are using a 5D it makes sense. otherwise it is not quite wide enough to qualify for walkaround. But I think it should be priced closer to about $1,600.

JediForce4ever said:
28-300mmf3.5-5.6L IS USM.
Hi there bro. (Daniel? Darren? Sorry forgot your name!) Anyway, the 28-300mmf3.5-5.6L IS USM might be too wide. I would like to think that the 24-105L will produce sharper pictures. :)

Canew said:
Hi there bro. (Daniel? Darren? Sorry forgot your name!) Anyway, the 28-300mmf3.5-5.6L IS USM might be too wide. I would like to think that the 24-105L will produce sharper pictures. :)
Damien:bsmilie: :bsmilie: ...
But anyway...the 28-300mm is generally a better ''walkabout'' lens...quality aside.
Anyway...I havent got the chance to play around with the 24-105mm...but I would still go for the 24-70...unless they make the 24-105 a constant f2.8...:cool:

JediForce4ever said:
28-300mmf3.5-5.6L IS USM.

wow! this as walkaround?
bro, a little too heavy,
don't u think so?

jude

JediForce4ever said:
Damien:bsmilie: :bsmilie: ...
But anyway...the 28-300mm is generally a better ''walkabout'' lens...quality aside.
Anyway...I havent got the chance to play around with the 24-105mm...but I would still go for the 24-70...unless they make the 24-105 a constant f2.8...:cool:
Ah! Damien, of course...
The 24-105 has IS. That will help 3 stops. You still want f/2.8 for that?

judeseah said:
wow! this as walkaround?
bro, a little too heavy,
don't u think so?

jude
frankly speaking...no...
I like carrying heavy lenses...heavy means quality.:bsmilie:
actually, so far the best walkard lens that appeals to me is the 17-85mmIS:sweat:

17-85 IS is generally a good walkaround lens, especially for those using EFS mount camera. But for extra range and Canon "L" quality, one may go for the 24-105 L IS lens which is a lot more ex than 17-85 ~ about twice ... You decide what you want and the range that you want and what you can afford :)

$2000++++ for an f/4 lens is a waste of money to me. The 70-200/4L is about half the price.

not worth for an f4 and zooming barrel

Seems like I'm not getting good overall positive response for this lens.
Anyone can recommend alternative? The range I'm looking for is between 35 ~ 70.

Looking for a quality build and quality output lenses.
Max aperture : F4.
Max affordable price: SGD2200

I had initially considered the 24~70L F2.8, but the 24~105L F4 has IS to offset it's aperture disadvantage (Not considering the DOF).

You could get the 24-105L under 2.2k if from overseas, but they are seriously out of stock. The 24-70 would be a good choice too. Seen a couple on the 2nd hand shelves already.

Hi, like to ask which country sell lens cheaper Japan or Hong Kong?

Hoky said:
Seems like I'm not getting good overall positive response for this lens.
Anyone can recommend alternative? The range I'm looking for is between 35 ~ 70.

Looking for a quality build and quality output lenses.
Max aperture : F4.
Max affordable price: SGD2200

I had initially considered the 24~70L F2.8, but the 24~105L F4 has IS to offset it's aperture disadvantage (Not considering the DOF).

Bear in mind most comments don't come from people who actually own or use the lens.

shinken said:
Bear in mind most comments don't come from people who actually own or use the lens.

Haha yeah this is a very important point!
Ironic right?

But its to be expected. $2K+ for a lens is beyond the budget of most amateurs. Also everyone's commenting based on their own shooting styles... who know maybe the 24-105 might be just right for you!

TMC said:
You could get the 24-105L under 2.2k if from overseas, but they are seriously out of stock. The 24-70 would be a good choice too. Seen a couple on the 2nd hand shelves already.

Overseas lowest price is around S$1900 ~ tax free (i got mine for S$1750 with canon redemptions), any lower, have to go hongkong. Will vouch for the 24-105 F4 L as the better walk about lens than 24-70, have it for over a month now, tried and tested on 5d and 20d (weight ratio on a 350d not as good) and with IS, its more usable esp outdoors. Preferentially, indoor event shooters would prefer F2.8, but if you are always on a go... that lens is perfect. Besides, all my indoor shots of girls (see my posts) are with this lens...

Status
Not open for further replies.