Mauritius

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMac08

Sep 4, 2008
Tiong Bahru,Singapore
www.flickr.com
Hi Guys,

I will be heading to Mauritius in Oct(hope i din put in the wrong prefix...it shld be consider as africa continent right?). Will appreciate any advices or experiences from fellow CSers who have been there regarding Currency,Security,Places of interest and Accessibility over there etc.

Will be there for 8days 6night free and easy with my wife. Bringing my 5D2,35,85,135 and a flash. Is this too much to bring? i am still thinking if i want to get a FE or a 1740(or just use my 35 cause i don't really shoot a lot of UWA stuffs)

Most immediate prob now is currency. I have no clue where i can change this and will S$ be able to exchange there? how much shld i bring for 2 persons?

Thanks for any sharing of experiences or advise.

Hi Guys,

I will be heading to Mauritius in Oct(hope i din put in the wrong prefix...it shld be consider as africa continent right?). Will appreciate any advices or experiences from fellow CSers who have been there regarding Currency,Security,Places of interest and Accessibility over there etc.

Will be there for 8days 6night free and easy with my wife. Bringing my 5D2,35,85,135 and a flash. Is this too much to bring? i am still thinking if i want to get a FE or a 1740(or just use my 35 cause i don't really shoot a lot of UWA stuffs)

Most immediate prob now is currency. I have no clue where i can change this and will S$ be able to exchange there? how much shld i bring for 2 persons?

Thanks for any sharing of experiences or advise.

I never been there but I just like to share some view
The currency you should able to get it in Changi Airport. It is Mauritian rupee.
If you have travel a few times, you might be experienced on how is your favorite lens set up during travel. Some don't mind the hassle, some just want light, some love prime, some prefer zoom.

Dear bro, I am a money changer. My advises will be that to change USD and then go to change in Mauritus to their local currency. Otherwise, u can go to the Arcade Plaza in the town area to check on the rates. Since it is not a very popular currency, many traders do not bring the currencies into Singapore to sell. Even if they do, they are going to sell more expensive. So I reckon it will be good to change USD then to rupee when you are in Mauritus. Please do not go to the Airport and change, they will slaughter you like no body business.

I am also planning a trip to Mauritis or Scheyelles in Nov, then to Capetown. But still not decided as my wife has some reservations in the safety when in Capetown....

Dear bro, I am a money changer. My advises will be that to change USD and then go to change in Mauritus to their local currency. Otherwise, u can go to the Arcade Plaza in the town area to check on the rates. Since it is not a very popular currency, many traders do not bring the currencies into Singapore to sell. Even if they do, they are going to sell more expensive. So I reckon it will be good to change USD then to rupee when you are in Mauritus. Please do not go to the Airport and change, they will slaughter you like no body business.

I am also planning a trip to Mauritis or Scheyelles in Nov, then to Capetown. But still not decided as my wife has some reservations in the safety when in Capetown....

WOW cool. your advise is invaluable to me man. Sure thing i will change to USD then. but it seems like they are using Euros there. any issue with this?

I was looking at scheyelles but the airfare if i did not see wrongly almost 20k for 2 person w return flight. Is safety an issue in Mauritius?

Thank you very much

I never been there but I just like to share some view
The currency you should able to get it in Changi Airport. It is Mauritian rupee.
If you have travel a few times, you might be experienced on how is your favorite lens set up during travel. Some don't mind the hassle, some just want light, some love prime, some prefer zoom.

Hi there. I guess airport not a gd place.always poor rates. In any case, i still appreciate your comment abt the lens. i use to bring 2 zoom lens 24-70,70200 when ever i go. this time round decide to try sthg diff.may bring along another crop body with me(50D).gonna get a 1740 later.

Hi bro, you can pay in USD when your there too, the people love USD over there, thus you can get better rates with US currency, remember to do a Catamaran Day trip in Mauritius, did it 2 years ago , which provided barbecued lunch on the Catamaran, Snorkeling And visits to various islands around Mauritius such as Au lex cerfs. For me i was still a beginner in photography @ that time so i just brought my 400D and tamron 17-50mm, and a PnS camera while snorkelling and Undersea Walking

WOW cool. your advise is invaluable to me man. Sure thing i will change to USD then. but it seems like they are using Euros there. any issue with this?

I was looking at scheyelles but the airfare if i did not see wrongly almost 20k for 2 person w return flight. Is safety an issue in Mauritius?

Thank you very much

You could do a day trip to Seychelles from Mauritius too, not too expensive tho about 150 USD, the best way to fly in to Seychelles is by emirates, then again they dont have promotion for fares to Seychelles so one return ticket would set you back by at least 1.7kSGD

thanks paul.will bring usd then.but how they give u change?in rupees?

I will google abt that day trip.we took a trip to southern tour and some island day ride.doubt i will fly out fr there.but with your advise.next time i will try.1.7k is so diff fr the price i saw online.i wanted to use the banyan tree resort there but was put off by the airfare.i told my wife we flying by private jet so 20k.haha.

Bro, then if that's case, change Euro then instead of USD. But Euro is a bit high lately as compared to USD.

Scheyelles is cheap la.... fly by Air Scheyelles, return only $753....look for Martin Suresh M.Gs email martin@aviationservices.com.sg, tel: 63248006, check with him if the promotion is still on..... also can check with this company 7 degree South to check on accomdation, www.7south.net..... email 7south@7south.net

Air Mauritius can check withAgnes Iek agnes@aviationservices.com.sg

Bro, then if that's case, change Euro then instead of USD. But Euro is a bit high lately as compared to USD.

Scheyelles is cheap la.... fly by Air Scheyelles, return only $753....look for Martin Suresh M.Gs email martin@aviationservices.com.sg, tel: 63248006, check with him if the promotion is still on..... also can check with this company 7 degree South to check on accomdation, www.7south.net..... email 7south@7south.net

Air Mauritius can check withAgnes Iek agnes@aviationservices.com.sg

damn i shld have post this earlier...i already book my package at mauritius for 8day 6night and lodging at the legends resort hotel....if i had find out abt ths from u, i will head straight to scheyelles...but both looks equally nice.(though i was really impress by the banyan tree resort at scheyelles

i will still change USD since it can be use there. reason been i may head for US next year so the spare will be useful. Thanks a lot pal...i am so looking forward to the trip man

The exchnage rate is about 1USD = 30 M rupees, do explore the towns also, good for photography but also quite a sight to see the level of poverty there, there's only 1 shopping mall in Mauritius and its not exactly that big too

how much money in usd do u think i shld bring for 2 person for 8days? and how much rupees do i need to change? u try shooting there before? will they ask u to give them money for shooting them?

Well to be honest my folks only changed about 100USD to rupees cause most restaurants , fast food chains there only accept rupees, while land tours and other stuff are payable by USD

[Bro, hope you have a great trip..... i am still deciding if to go Mautitius then to South Africa with my 3 kids...... safety is one issue and cost is another............so might as well go to scyhelles.

Status
Not open for further replies.