Home brewed rice wine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benign

Jan 30, 2004
Melbourne
gallery127599.fotopic.net
Some how I got itchy, want to attempt to make my own rice wine.

Has any of you guys/ladies tried it? I know Hakka people make their own sweet rice wine.

One thing is they make them in the tropic, now I am in cold climate...is there a particular temperature I got to maintain?

Thanks

:)

Is it legal?, if successful, many liquor company may go outta buz here, ha!ha!

Ooiiii, u so law abiding har? :bigeyes: This one for personal consumption lah.....it is possible ...in fact, I checked the procedures in making rice wine....very simple!

But quality wise, I am trying now. Need to find out temperature of fermentation. I know they even wrapped blanket over the fermenting utensils. So, I need to know it is winter here liao...what I got to do? On the ducted heating all day.....? Is the heat factor critical?

:dunno:

kenele said:
Is it legal?, if successful, many liquor company may go outta buz here, ha!ha!

I've heard those rice wine brewed by the inmates in the prison here tastes quite good. Only thing they have in short supply is clean bottles. One enterprising prisoner turns his toilet cistern into a brewing factory. :bsmilie:

Benign said:
Ooiiii, u so law abiding har? :bigeyes: This one for personal consumption lah.....it is possible ...in fact, I checked the procedures in making rice wine....very simple!

But quality wise, I am trying now. Need to find out temperature of fermentation. I know they even wrapped blanket over the fermenting utensils. So, I need to know it is winter here liao...what I got to do? On the ducted heating all day.....? Is the heat factor critical?

Are you thinking of using body heat under wrapped blanket? May have to post for more bodies in CS. :sweatsm:

Benign said:

There no winter here, as far as I know, temperature is crucial if you want a consistent stuff anyway you gotta know, fermentation gives off a pungent smell, may not be advisable in flat dwelling residents here, maybe Aussie can.

I've heard those rice wine brewed by the inmates in the prison here tastes quite good. Only thing they have in short supply is clean bottles. One enterprising prisoner turns his toilet cistern into a brewing factory.

Ptuiii, I am not that desperate lah. :flush:

If refrigerated, the rice wine can be kept for about two years. If not, it turned into rice vinegar.

temperature is crucial if you want a consistent stuff anyway you gotta know

Think I will use my cooler box for fermentation liao. Although it is not warm, but it is consistent in temperature. :sweat:

1.2 kg glutimous rice
soak for 4 hrs
drain dry

soak in cool water again for 3 hrs in a cool place and drain

buy 4pcs of wine biscults (sweet)- from chinese provision shop or medicine shop

grind biscults to powder

get a procelin or claypot jar/container/pot

put some powder at the bottom layer then some rice....layer by layer

keep in a cool place (toilet) for forty days

then filter.

I've had limited success (one batch out of three I judged to be drinkable ie wouldn't kill me).

The best resource on the web is here: http://www.sytu.edu.cn/zhgjiu/umain.htm

This is my simplified, basic recipe. It's closer to sake production than Chinese rice wine. I skip the starter batch and a lot of steps. I try to keep things simple.

Ingredients:

1. 1-2 kg Glutinous rice
2. Juice from one lemon
3. 4-5 Yeast balls - can get from Chinese medical hall - "jiu bing" (wine biscuit)

Method:

1. Warm up the yeast balls by placing them in the sun to activate the yeast.

2. Wash and soak the glutinous rice in water for a few hours.

3. Steam the glutinous rice for 20 min.

4. Let the glutinous rice cool, then transfer to a large brewing container (I use those plastic rice bins for keeping cooked rice hot).

5. Crush the yeast balls until it's a coarse powder, then mix it up with some clean water. I use a blender, but this may not be such a good idea.

6. Thoroughly mix up the resulting mixture with the cooled rice. Mix in the lemon juice as well - it is meant to create an acidic environment to inhibit bacterial fermentation, otherwise you end up with acetone instead of alcohol - not a very good thing to drink!

7. Stir up the mixture once or twice a day for the next few days. This is to aerate the mixture and get the yeasy cells multiplying actively. Then cover and seal and leave it for about a month. This makes the yeast start anaerobic fermentation, which produces alcohol. If you're lucky, you will notice very nice smells after a week.

8. Filter the mixture using a fine sieve into used wine bottles. You can use a siphon after about a week to transfer the clear wine into new bottles, leaving behind the sediment which should have settled to the bottom (which is also nice to drink - like nigori-sake!).

Make sure that you try to keep everything aseptic - no germs! I basically pour boiling water over everything I use, and touch as little as possible with my hands, using the sterilized utensils instead.

The best way to drink it is to heat it up like sake. The final appearance is a very pleasing pale yellow.

My brother-in-law's mother (true blue hakka) gave some additional tips which I have yet to try. She's the one whose rice wine made me want to start trying to make my own.

1. Get some red rice (also from the Chinese medical hall) and mix it in. This gives it the classic red appearance.

2. No need to mix the crushed yeast balls with water.

3. Layer the steamed rice between layers of crushed yeast ball powder and red rice powder.

Any MO?

As for your original question, my understanding is that wine can be brewed at any temperature. If lower temperature, then it takes longer, that's all. Maybe 2 months instead of 1 month. If you keep it inside your house it can't get THAT cold what.

If you keep it inside your house it can't get THAT cold what.

Current temperature inside the house is about 10 degree celcius. If compared to the average of 30 degree celcius in the tropic. Then it is more than two months to ferment.

LOL :bsmilie: Not the Changi toilet cistern brand hor? :sweat:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:thumbsup: Thanks guys, keep the info coming. Maybe we can meet up some days on photos/sake sharing liao.

For the glutinous(sticky) rice, there are white, red and black color varieties.

In farm areas of Taiwan, the hakkas burnt the rice straws over the fermenting jars in order to get the pale yellow color. So far, streetshooter method is closest to what I found. Excluding the additional lemon juice.

I am compiling various info/data for my personal rice wine making now. At the same time, I want the best ginger wine chicken. :)

must consult my mum.

How's the wine? Any problems yet? :bsmilie:

How's the wine? Any problems yet?

The problems I encountered:
- Jars is too small....need to find a bigger one. The cooking utensils in Aust is not cheap ;(

- The steamer's holes is too big, rice fall into the water easily....need to find some kind of cloth/filter to close it.

Why you ask so urgently? Singapore banned rice wine soon?? :bsmilie:

Benign said:
Why you ask so urgently? Singapore banned rice wine soon?? :bsmilie:
Where got urgent, I am relax? Just wanna find out if you have been posioned. Singapore didn't ban rice wine, just the homemake ones! :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.